FORUMS: list search recent posts

5DmkIII HDMI Lost Signal - Ninja 2

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jacques de Vos
5DmkIII HDMI Lost Signal - Ninja 2
on Jul 29, 2013 at 3:18:14 pm

In the last two weeks I have had three instances of the HDMI connection not being available when connecting to the Ninja 2.

Sequence of events:

- Prepare camera, connect it to the Ninja 2
- Test: No issues.
- Switch on the same setup (without having moved or changed anything) 8 hours later and the Ninja 2 displays 'No connection'.

I have established that its the 5DmkIII as the only way to re-establish the connection is by removing the battery from the camera and re-connecting it. This is a very big problem as my camera is used underwater and a quick 'battery reset' is not possible when the camera is in its housing.

Has anyone else have similar issues? Perhaps a firmware problem?

Adobe CS6 Production Premium
Win 7 64 bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz
Nvidia GT525M
16GB RAM

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
Re: 5DmkIII HDMI Lost Signal - Ninja 2
on Jul 29, 2013 at 4:43:36 pm

Try swapping HDMI cables. I had the same issue, but not with a Ninja. I replaced the HDMI cable with a much shorter 18" cable with no mini adapter and all troubles went away.

Make sure there is no stress on the cable side attached to the camera. Do you have a strain relief?

Warren Eig
O 310-470-0905

email: warren@babyboompictures.com

REEL: http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/Reels.html

Return to posts index

Jacques de Vos
on Sep 28, 2013 at 7:01:45 am

Thanks Warren

Sorry for the late reply, just learned my COW updates have been ending up in the spam folder.

The issue with the jubled screen turned out to be something with the timecode settings between the Ninja 2 and the 5dmkIII. The 'no signal' is something different which is more worrying.

When having something connected to the HDMI, the 5dmkIII at times refuses to flip up the mirror when switching to video mode which results in no signal being sent. It took me a while to figure this out as it’s hard to hear sounds from within the underwater camera housing (why I missed it at first) but I managed to recreate the issue out of the housing and can now confirm its definitely a Canon issue.

Easy to confirm, if you have no signal on the Ninja 2 just switch back and forth between photo and video and if you don’t hear the standard ‘click’ of the mirror flipping up then you need to remove the battery and re-install it which fixes the issue every time. In my case this is not an option underwater but might help others. It occurs very randomly and some times the camera runs for two three uses without the issue.

I’ve reported the issue to Canon but got no reply (no surprise there!).

Win 7 64 bit
Nvidia GT525M
16GB RAM

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
on Sep 28, 2013 at 7:06:55 am

What firmware are you running on the camera? Is there a firmware update to the Ninja 2?

I don't use the Ninja so I can't confirm your problem, but my camera works fine HDMI clean out to an external monitor. Can you go to a camera store and try a display Canon with your Ninja to see if you can replicate?

Warren Eig
O 310-470-0905

email: warren@babyboompictures.com

REEL: http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/Reels.html

Return to posts index

Jacques de Vos
on Oct 1, 2013 at 6:47:59 am

Hi Warren,

Unfortunately not, as I'm not anywhere close to stores that sell 5dmkIII's at the moment. The firmware for the Canon is the first release which allowed clean HDMI out and the Ninja 2 is up to date as well.

Still having the issue appear from time to time and still only when connected to the HDMI...

Win 7 64 bit
Nvidia GT525M
16GB RAM

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]