FORUMS: list search recent posts

Raw on the 5d Mark II. Who's doing it and do you like it/compare?

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Freng
Raw on the 5d Mark II. Who's doing it and do you like it/compare?
on Jul 22, 2013 at 5:18:53 pm

Longtime reader, first time poster here. Thanks for everyone's attention and discussion into the production world. These forums have solved many an issue.

Soooooo, recently Magic Lantern enabled shooting raw on many of the Canon cameras including the 5dmii. This is limited by the hardware and sensor to either 1880x800 (2.35) or 1728x972 (16:9). Still, as you can see in my blog post exploring post production of raw files, the image raw image just blows standard 5dmii footage out of the water. Remember how soft the mII image was? That's gone in raw.

I love the image coming out but the files created for post-production are around 10-20x larger than the h264 files. This means a medium project with maybe 50gb of files would have 500gb-1tb of data!!!! That's insane. This would include all the original cinema dng files (can throw the canon raw files away after they've been processed to cinema dng files), and the lowres/hires edit/final proxies you need to work with.

Has anyone started shooting this way and have a good solution or approach to the ridiculous increase in file size & management? Or should I just get the 5diii and record uncompressed to external hd ;)

-------------
Shoot smart.

Owner/Director
Backflip Films
http://www.backflipfilms.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]