FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to get the highest quality video?

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William Wasson
How to get the highest quality video?
on Jul 22, 2013 at 11:32:49 am

Hello I'm about to start shooting a short film using the 5D MK II and I want to make sure i get the highest quality image this camera can provide. I have installed the cinestyle profile, and I'll be shooting in full 1080. I've heard that i should use a 1000x comact flash card. My main worry is getting a lot of artifacting and noise. What are the most important tips you can give me? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Ryan Freng
Re: How to get the highest quality video?
on Jul 22, 2013 at 4:57:41 pm

Cinestyle is a great start but here's a few tims and things you still want to keep in mind:

1) Grade: pull blacks back down and your highlights back to white as well as set your gamma (nice setting to change depending on look). Shooting cinestyle helps you NOT lose your blacks or highlights, ie less noise in your shadows and highlights.
2) Post-production sharpening: because of the sensor size and camera speed the 5dmii image is a little soft. The camera has a sharpen setting you want at 0 so you can sharpen in post, which looks MUCH better.
2) The camera shoots skin tones a bit red. I'm sure I could find the digital explanation for this, but trust me it's ok when you see those red skin tones, you'll just have to pay attention to secondary color correction.
3) Fast glass low iso: this is going to give you the crispest image you can get with the 5dmii. If you need a dark scene don't forgo lighting just compensate in camera to darken image
4) Shutter speed of 48 or faster unless you want significant motion blur

Once you get going with the camera you would probably figure these things out quickly. If you're really wanting to push your 5dmii to the limit you should install the Magic Lantern firmware and shoot on raw. You can read more about raw shooting on the 5dmii on a blog post that I created: http://www.backflipfilms.com/2013/07/using-raw-on-the-canon-5d-markii-5dmii...

Shoot smart.

Owner/Director
Backflip Films
http://www.backflipfilms.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]