FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon EOS Cinema 1D C Exhibiting a 1/4-Second Delay in LCD Display!

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Jones
Canon EOS Cinema 1D C Exhibiting a 1/4-Second Delay in LCD Display!
on Jul 17, 2013 at 11:07:13 pm

My 1D C camera, and at least one other I've seen, exhibits a 1/4-second delay between what happens in front of the camera and when it appears on the built-in LCD display OR through the HDMI out.

CPS is suggesting, both in the US and Canada, that this is "normal functioning," but if you are monitoring audio and watching the monitor closely, it's pretty distracting.

I've posted a short video on Vimeo to illustrate this phenomenon. PLEASE have a look and tell me whether your cameras are behaving in the same manner.

https://vimeo.com/70518748

Any help would really be appreciated. I don't believe Canon can market this as a "Cinema" camera if the audio and video don't sync at the monitor!

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: Canon EOS Cinema 1D C Exhibiting a 1/4-Second Delay in LCD Display!
on Jul 18, 2013 at 4:00:51 pm

This doesn't seem like abnormal behavior. My 7D and 5D3 have long exhibited the same behavior. The camera is internally on the fly converting those frames from the sensor into something that can be displayed on the LCD. A quarter second delay doesn't seem unreasonable (at least to me). The audio and video are in sync as far as your recording is concerned (to card or external device). They are just being displayed on your LCD with a slight delay compared to the action in front of you.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Jason Jones
on Jul 18, 2013 at 4:11:25 pm

Well, if one is using the camera to shoot B-Roll, no problem - what's a 1/4-second? But if you're shooting dialogue, or interview footage, I don't see how anybody manages to stay tuned to both the audio and the video - the gap is really disturbing.

And it's funny - there is no such gap on any "real" cinema camera, right? I mean, no one would CONSIDER putting up with anything like this on a Scarlet, let alone an Alexa, Epic, F5, F55, F65, etc. Even pretty low-end camcorders don't exhibit this kind of behavior.

I've no experience with the BCC, but I'd be shocked if it displayed a 250ms delay in monitoring. How do you do critical follow-focus if what you're seeing is late?

If this IS characteristic of all 1D C bodies, I think it's a deal-breaker in a camera suggested as a "Scarlet-killer".

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Jul 18, 2013 at 7:26:32 pm

[Jason Jones] "If this IS characteristic of all 1D C bodies, I think it's a deal-breaker in a camera suggested as a "Scarlet-killer"."

I'm sure it depends on whom you talk to, but I don't think most (any?) people would consider the 1D C to be a Scarlet-killer. I definitely wouldn't say that. The only things similar about the 1D C to a Scarlet are it's resolution and it's price tag. Given that the 1D C is a 1D X with different firmware it's hard to look past it's DSLR backbone. And I think the problem you're experiencing is typical of the DSLR-movie world. It is irritating, but having shot DSLR's for close to 5 years now you just get used to it. You don't see that on C100, C300, F3/F5, etc. for sure like you say.

[Jason Jones] "
I've no experience with the BCC, but I'd be shocked if it displayed a 250ms delay in monitoring. How do you do critical follow-focus if what you're seeing is late?"

I'm not sure how the BCC performs. If BM follows through on it's July shipping for the BM 4K camera then hopefully I can fill ya in! Come on preorder!! :-) But you should still be able to pull focus if the action is only 6 frames behind what's actually happening. If it was a full second behind, now that's a deal-breaker. But I also haven't seen the 1D C in use much so I'm not sure how much traction it's gained in the market....so maybe it's not a a problem because nobody is really using it? It seems like the C100/300/500 are getting most of the action, and it's well deserved. Those cameras are pretty solid (but a little high on price I think)

I like the 4K nature of the 1D C, but for $12K I'd like to have:
(1) Better ergonomics
(2) Better audio control/connections
(3) HD-SDI out
(4) Better codec than 8-bit M-JPEG

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Jason Jones
on Jul 18, 2013 at 11:24:10 pm

Thanks for a very thoughtful reply - I agree with just about all your observations. The body made sense to me because I also shoot advertising stills, and it is in fact a remarkably good still camera - best 35mm format body I've over owned, with no shutter lag, and what, 12 ACTUAL RAW frames a second (I think it's a bit more) with the buffer not filling for fifty or sixty or seventy frames?!? That's how I shoot, not eleven frames at 3fps, and then chat with the talent while the camera does it's business. So that's been an unexpected positive surprise.

I can even live with the ergonomics and the audio connection, since I shoot everything to a Ki Pro Mini and what has become a decent-feeling rig, but yes, the 8-bit codec is a real, absolute drag.

I'm waiting to hear from the "resident engineer" here at Canon Canada to see what Canon Japan has to say about the delay. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]