FORUMS: list search recent posts

New 5D frustrations

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Wilson
New 5D frustrations
on Jul 3, 2013 at 11:47:03 pm

I'm getting ready to return my second 5D Mark lll. I purchased the first just three weeks ago and returned it to the store after noticing subtle vertical noisy streaks in in the picture. Streaks were most evident on pans and in dark areas or in saturated colors, but could be seen faintly when the camera was stationary as well. Stills looked beautiful, but 4:2:2 video straight out of the camera via HDMI or 4;2:0 recorded internally was unacceptable.

My replacement 5D shows the identical problem AND has a very ugly dead pixel that shows up a few minutes after the camera is turned on. I've tried using more expensive glass than the 24-105 kit lens, experimented with every picture profile, checked to see that I'm running the current Canon firmware, etc., etc. Is it just a coincidence that I got two bad cameras in a row? I've seen lots of footage from other people's Mark lls and never thought I was viewing video through gauzy vertical lines. The pixel issue is just the icing on the cake. I can't shoot anything but white people and wardrobe against a white cyc with this thing.

Thanks, in advance, for any thoughts or feedback.

Chris Wilson
Moving Pictures

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
Re: New 5D frustrations
on Jul 4, 2013 at 3:11:25 pm

Can you provide samples? I've not experienced this on my Mkiii. But I may not have used it the same, and definitely haven't used the 4:2:2 out, yet. The pixel issue probably should be a return to Canon, IMHO. Maybe the two were part of a defective production run? Serial numbers similar?

Al

Return to posts index

Chris Wilson
on Jul 4, 2013 at 8:28:24 pm

Here's a still that shows the streaking seen in my first camera. The replacement 5D produces an identical picture with the addition of the bad pixel. Streaking is more obvious on moving video, but can be seen here in the wall, frame left, and a bit in the dark countertop. A flat picture profile or monitor without very dark blacks makes the problem quite obvious. It's not a recording or codec issue. I can see it direct HDMI out of camera to a 9" field monitor.

Thanks for any insights.

1_5dnoiseteststill.jpg

Chris Wilson
Moving Pictures

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Jul 4, 2013 at 9:41:48 pm

Ok. I see it, and am not an expert, but it seems like you are generating noise there. I see various artifacts at work there. Not sure that it's something to do with the ISO you are shooting at (some are better than others), or if it's a camera flaw. I would send this back to Canon when you ask for a repair. I assume this doesn't show up in better lit scenes?

Al

Return to posts index

Chris Wilson
on Jul 4, 2013 at 11:39:54 pm

Multiples of ISO 320 are the least noisy speeds for the Mark 3's sensor. This example was probably shot at 640 which is actually quieter than 200. I've tried every setting I can find to experiment with to eliminate the problem. It's incredible that I've gotten 2 5ds with the same issue.

Chris Wilson
Moving Pictures

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]