FORUMS: list search recent posts

XF Utility

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Livolsi
XF Utility
on May 23, 2013 at 3:36:10 pm

I just purchased the Canon C300. Love the camera! I am nervous about the CF card transfer to drives. I dumped both cards ant it says Content and content 2 on the folders. In XF Utility, it shows all the footage on Content, but does not show Content 2 at all. I know this is OE. I dont want to wipe the cards yet, but have a 2 day job tomorrow where I'm going to need more cards.

Please help me!

Joe Livolsi

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: XF Utility
on May 23, 2013 at 6:19:34 pm

You can't rename it to Content 2. I don't think XF Utility can read that. It has to see it as "Content" and then can look inside. XF Utility is not a smart program. It's very basic....very simple.

So you need to figure out your workflow. Here's a couple of options for ya:

Option 1:
You can do an ingest of the footage through XF Utility which will allow you (1) make a back up the card (sort of like a disk image) or (2) export out each clip as a self-contained MXF file that can be read independently of the XML on the card.

Option 2:
Copy of the cards to your desktop, but place them in folders you've already setup (shot01, shot02, shot03, etc.)

Option 3:
Use some sort of a copy software to copy and verify your data. ShotPut Pro being the most readily used option that I'm aware of.

Option 4:
Use Adobe Prelude to ingest, tag, and rough edit your footage

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Joe Livolsi
on May 28, 2013 at 11:00:42 pm

Thanks Ryan

I'm really having issues. I dragged the folders onto a drive, all the clips seem to be there. Whwn I place the cf cards back into the c300, they say no clips on 2 of the cards!!! I'm freaking out a bit here. I know I saw the footage. I'm totally at a loss.

Joe Livolsi

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on May 29, 2013 at 2:16:07 pm

Does XF Utility see the card when attached to your computer?

Does Prelude see the card and footage?

Does Premiere see the card and footage?

If you can navigate to the MXF files on your desktop you can directly transcode those as well using AME. Sometimes I've found that after inserting the card into a computer the camera won't read it again without formatting it. Not sure why that is....maybe the computer is writing something to the card that the camera can't understand....but at any rate work with the card on your computer now.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Joe Livolsi
on May 29, 2013 at 4:03:29 pm

Hey Ryan

The XF utility sees the cards
And folders . It's shows all the clips in the folders. I'm not posting this, which is why I dumped to a drive. I'm hopeful that the files are all there. I see MXF and CIP files and such, so I'm crossing my fingers it's all there. Some cards play back, some don't in the camera. It's very unnerving! I used to shoot film and felt better than I do now!

Thanks for the support and info, it's truly appreciated

Joe Livolsi

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]