FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need some advice on good shotgun mic and preamp for T2i

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Pickering
Need some advice on good shotgun mic and preamp for T2i
on May 11, 2013 at 5:45:17 am

Hi there,

I’ve finally decided to purchase the Juicedlink RM333 but now I need to decide on a microphone. I will not be using a separate recorder but rather feeding from the mic to the preamp and then from the preamp to a t2i (with magiclantern). I’ve read a lot about the Rode NTG-3 or the NTG-2. Are you familiar with these mics? I would prefer the NTG-3 based of reviews, but I understand it is phantom power only. Would the Juicedlink RM333 provide enough power to use the NTG-3 or would I need to stick with the NTG-2? Or is there something else to consider?

My budget is <$500.

I would primarily use it for interviews but would like something I can use in conjunction with my lav for speaking events (in conference rooms). Am I looking at the right products?

Thank you for any thoughts!

-Stephen

Return to posts index

Mark Shepherd
Re: Need some advice on good shotgun mic and preamp for T2i
on May 12, 2013 at 6:15:54 pm

I have a Canon 5D Mark111 and own a various number of mics including the Sennheiser 416 which requires 48V phantom power. I have found that the Rode Pro Mic works great when I mount it to boom pole and use it as a "shotgun" mic. I have even adapted the 3.5 mini plug to an XLR adapter and used it with the lectosonics "butt plug" and then went wireless into the camera directly. The RODE PRO mic has a warm sound and does not require any EQing like the 416. I'm sure the all the anal audio sound men will be prejudiced to this mic without ever hearing it. It sells for less than $250.

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
on May 13, 2013 at 12:20:43 pm

Stephen - I recommend the NTG-3. It is the best mic you can buy for less than the $1000 Sennheiser MKH416. You can get one for $500.95 new from Jeff's Music Gear via eBay.

I am not an "anal audio sound man", but I do know that a balanced mic with an XLR output will sound better after a long cable run than an unbalanced mic with a 3.5mm output :)

Good luck with your decision!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

Stephen Pickering
on May 24, 2013 at 3:10:44 pm

Thank you guys for your suggestions! I ended up picking up the Audio-Technica AT875R. I found this based on some suggestions on forums I came across during research as well as the creator of JuicedLink who was very helpful in his suggestions. Because I will sometimes only have the option of running phantom power from my mixer (running on a 9v. battery) I decided to go with this. I want to say it lasts about 4-5 hours using some rechargeable 9v batteries (but it could be more or less).

I heard A LOT of great thoughts about the NTG-3 so I might still consider buying it for other uses. This particular project was 4 days of driving on a bus so I was very limited in battery use. I had 4 9v. batteries I was constantly swapping and recharging nightly.

The audio sounded great in the headphones but I have not yet listened to it on the computer. It was in a noisy environment (a loud bus) but it sounded exceptionally good. I imagine the NTG-3 would be that much better, but again the phantom power was my biggest concern.

A real quick shout out for the JuicedLink RM333- it's awesome!

Thank you again for taking the time to provide me some other options to consider, I really appreciate it!

-Stephen Pickering

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]