FORUMS: list search recent posts

New Clean HDMI out with Canon 5d Markiii Firmware Update. Thoughts?

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Turner
New Clean HDMI out with Canon 5d Markiii Firmware Update. Thoughts?
on May 9, 2013 at 9:46:10 pm

Hey!

I figured I'd start a thread here talking about the Canon firmware update that was just released for the 5D Markiii. I'm mainly interested in a discussion on the video application with the ability to use an external recorder with clean HDMI out.

It says we will get 4:2:2 color space & (depending on recorder) a variety of different compression formats (prores, etc)

The few things I'd love to hear thoughts on are:

1 - Does anyone have any general early opinions on this?

2 - Will we really see any noticeable difference in image quality? Or more room to push colors in post? i.e. Is it even worth the trouble to have an external recorder?

3 - Does anyone have a recorder they are interested in using with this?
The one that seems to have been working with Canon is the Atomos Ninja.
But there's a really cool 7.7in OLED monitor/recorder combo coming out shortly called the Oddessey 7 from Convergent Design.

4 - Does anyone know if it will be possible at some point to get 1080 at 60p with this at some point? There doesn't seem to be talk of this yet, but that would be a big deal.

p.s. The link to the update is here: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/EOS5DM3_firmware/

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: New Clean HDMI out with Canon 5d Markiii Firmware Update. Thoughts?
on May 10, 2013 at 2:20:30 am

[David Turner] "1 - Does anyone have any general early opinions on this? "

It works.

[David Turner] "2 - Will we really see any noticeable difference in image quality? Or more room to push colors in post? i.e. Is it even worth the trouble to have an external recorder?"

There's no perceptible difference to your eye from what's compressed on the card. 4:2:2 may give you a little latitude in post over the standard 4:2:0, but not much. You're still living in an 8bit world at either 4:2:0 or 4:2:2. If you do green screen work with the 5DIII, then it might be more helpful for pulling keys.

[David Turner] "3 - Does anyone have a recorder they are interested in using with this?"

We use either a Sound Devices PIX 240 or a Blackmagic Hyperdeck Shuttle. The Ninja2 by Atomos or anything made by Convergent Design will do the job. It just depends on budget and what you need the recorder to do.

[David Turner] "4 - Does anyone know if it will be possible at some point to get 1080 at 60p with this at some point?"

I would highly doubt Canon will ever equip the 5DIII to do this. Magic Lantern may figure it out, but Canon won't give us the ability to do this. Their Cinema line - C100/C300 can't even do it and those cameras cost $6500 and $16000 respectively (The C500 at $26K can do this). GIven Canon's ever protective guard of their camera lineup I don't see them offering something like that on the 5DIII. Would be nice though!

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
on May 10, 2013 at 3:44:45 pm

AJA KiPro Mini will also work to record ProRes or DNxHD-- both 4:2:2 10 Bit from an 8 bit signal. Ryan is correct, the 4:2:2 colorspace will help with green screen work. Alas it is 8 bit but if you are careful and light appropriately it shouldn't be a problem. Remember the days of DV and DVCAM-- 8 bit as well.

Warren Eig
O 310-470-0905

email: warren@babyboompictures.com

REEL: http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/Reels.html

Return to posts index

David Turner
on May 10, 2013 at 10:45:26 pm

Thanks for the responses guys!

[Ryan Holmes] "If you do green screen work with the 5DIII, then it might be more helpful for pulling keys."

I don't do much green screen work. I do a ton of Doc work with these cameras and it would be nice if it gave me anything more to play with in post. So I guess if anyone stumbles upon this thread and feels like they love something about getting 4:2:2 definitely join in. Thanks for the input Ryan.

[Ryan Holmes] "I would highly doubt Canon will ever equip the 5DIII to do this. Magic Lantern may figure it out, "

I should have figured that. Is there anything that you are using Magic Lantern for in a pro capacity right now? I'd love 1080 60p but it is prob a pipe dream

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on May 10, 2013 at 11:14:36 pm

[David Turner] "I should have figured that. Is there anything that you are using Magic Lantern for in a pro capacity right now?"

I don't run ML on any of my production gear. I'm of the mindset that my production gear has to be rock solid, day in and day out. It has to run for hours without fail. I'm not suggesting that ML is unstable, but whenever you tweak a piece of hardware (Hackintosh, over-clocking processors, hacking .txt files, etc.) you run the risk of instability. I can't turn to my boss and say, "Well, it looks like that hack was unstable.....oops!"

So I don't personally run it. But I'm aware of people that do and haven't had any problems (well none that they've posted about). Any hack you wanna run....do so at your own risk!

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

David Turner
on May 10, 2013 at 11:37:42 pm

[Ryan Holmes] "you run the risk of instability"

That's always been my thoughts exactly. But if there was an amazing feature I'd try it out. I heard you can run ML off the SD card slot and not overwrite any of your firmware on the camera.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]