FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon L series comparison to primes

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Enrico Lappano
Canon L series comparison to primes
on Mar 29, 2013 at 11:00:35 pm

Having other Canon lenses (like 100 and 50 mm), I just got my first L series lens, the 17-40mm f4, and after trying it a few times with 7D video, I'm finding that the look is a little soft compared to the other prime lenses. Is it possible that it could be the lens? The others are sharper and more dynamic. When I bought it, I was told that this lens was like going to another level, but this may be stepping down a notch. Could it be the lens?

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
Re: Canon L series comparison to primes
on Mar 30, 2013 at 5:59:48 am

Maybe, but the 7d video does not hold up well. I just moved to 5d mkiii and i no longer shoot with the 7d.

The zooms did seem softer, in general though.

Al

Return to posts index

Enrico Lappano
on Mar 30, 2013 at 2:46:21 pm

Should the 7D work differently with the 17-40mm than the 50 and 100mm prime lenses which are not L-series lenses?

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Mar 30, 2013 at 3:20:44 pm

No.the camera is the same. If you see a distinctly softer look, it's the lenses.you may need them repaired by mfg.

Reviews on some canon zooms claim they can be sharper than primes (!). Some might be softer, i.e. cheaper ones.

If you are using high end canon zooms, and the image is soft, send it in for recalbrating (repair).

Al

Return to posts index

Paul Esteves
on Mar 31, 2013 at 3:34:14 pm

Generally prime lenses are sharper than non prime lenses. There is less glass in primes and so less to make the image softer. L glass is sharper than non-L, however, I don't think it compares to primes.

That being said, canon lenses can sometimes be soft and need to be sent in, so, I would take it back and see if you can try another.

Return to posts index

Enrico Lappano
on Apr 1, 2013 at 3:00:42 pm

I brought the lens in the other day and compared it to another one and funny, the other one was actually softer. I guess my reaction was the shock that cheaper non L lenses could be sharper in any way. And perhaps, just as important, I had never used an f/4 lens before.

I took my lens out to shoot some video afterwards. It was a bright, sunny day by the port... tried the polarizer also. The look of the shots was like a motion painting, beautiful colours that I couldn't stop appreciating. It's a language I'm learning in light, and I appreciate the feedback and education.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]