Fresnel lens on canon 5d mk ii

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Wright
Fresnel lens on canon 5d mk ii
on Mar 4, 2013 at 9:22:18 am

Hi all,

hope everyone is well.

My first time posting in this particular forum, but just wanted some advice.

I love the look that Terry Gilliam gets on films like 12 monkeys and Brazil.

I've read that he uses Fresnel lenses. Was wondering what would be a good alternative for a canon 5d.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Paul

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Fresnel lens on canon 5d mk ii
on Mar 5, 2013 at 12:59:45 am

A fresnel lense is NOT something you use on a camera. It's something you use on a lighting instrument.

It uses a quirk of physics to soften the shadow rendering characteristics of a beam that can be projected over distance.

Gilliam used the plastic sheet versions to magnify displays IN the shots, bit not on the camera. These work like the "make your TV set look bigger" gizmos, but at the cost of resolution and light transmission.

If you were to put any fresnel in front of a camera lens you would get pretty much the same effect as applying a circular blur filter (or possibly some form of extreme barrel distortion filtering) effect in post - which has the HUGE advantage of being removable on the odd chance you actually would like to see what the characters in the scene are doing.

FWIW.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Paul Wright
Re: Fresnel lens on canon 5d mk ii
on Mar 5, 2013 at 11:40:00 am

ah ok. I did wonder when most of the searches I did brought up light houses etc.

Glad you cleared that up for me.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]