FORUMS: list search recent posts

5D Mk III Freeze issues?

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brent Dunn
5D Mk III Freeze issues?
on Feb 19, 2013 at 5:10:02 pm

I recently learned in another forum that some people have had their Canon 5D MkIII freeze up during shoots, forcing them to remove the battery and restart the camera. I do not have a Mk III yet, but it has been on my list to purchase.

Has anyone had this issue?

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro
with Final Cut Studio Adobe CS6 Production

Return to posts index

Mare Kelly
Re: 5D Mk III Freeze issues?
on Feb 19, 2013 at 8:54:10 pm

Yes. This just happened to me THIS MORNING for the first time. (Which is why I'm searching around the forums). I was primarily shooting video (which is mostly what I use the camera for, though I use stills to set up the shot in manual mode.) My camera locked up while recording--the image froze on the LCD, and no button I pressed made a difference. I finally ended up pulling out the battery and that seemed to reset it, but I lost a good chunk of footage and this is going to make my client very unhappy. So there you have it. I think whether you buy it depends on how much you have to rely on it.

I was using at 32GB SanDisk CF card (90 MB/s) which has worked great for me until today. And I didn't see any overheating signals. ( I turn the stabilizer off because it's one of the thing that can cause overheating and that made a difference when I was having overheating issues and the camera would randomly shut down.)

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Feb 20, 2013 at 6:39:41 am

I just shot all day on mine. No problems.also a Sandisk extreme pro

Al

Return to posts index

Mike Drew
on Feb 20, 2013 at 3:01:10 pm

At some point nearly every camera will freeze or lock up or otherwise stop functioning momentarily. Unfortunately that sometimes happens right when you absolutely have to get the shot or the clip.
But don't let comments on the internet fool you. People hardly ever post about passing the 200,000 shutter-actuation mark but when a camera quits you hear all about it. Point is, the 5D III - and virtually any other modern camera - is an amazing machine. Buy it and go take some pictures or shoot some clips.

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Feb 20, 2013 at 5:43:43 pm

[Mike Drew] "At some point nearly every camera will freeze or lock up or otherwise stop functioning momentarily."

I strongly disagree with this statement. I have shot with the 5D MkII, 7D, 60D, & EX-1. The only issue was with an early version of the EX-1. Once the firmware was updated, I never had an issue again.

This isn't just a passing few. I've read comments from over 30 people just in the past week. It does influence my purchasing decision. Just like positive posts help me make decisions. You cannot just rely on manufacturer's touting how great they are.

Of course I would be relying on this camera for my main shots. I would be using 3 of them. I cannot "Hope" it doesn't freeze.

Brent Dunn
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro

Return to posts index

Mike Drew
on Feb 20, 2013 at 11:12:09 pm

It is an absolute certainty that everything whether electronic, mechanical or biological will eventually fail. I too have the 5D II, the 7D, the 60D and 5D III and none of them have failed despite my abuse. But they all will. In the meantime I intend to fire off a few million frames and not worry about that inevitability.
The reason I even brought this up is that very few people post about good experiences - the vast majority - whereas people that have bad experiences love to share.
It is very hard to find a bad camera these days. We live in a wonderful age for photography. So don't dwell on a measly 30 posts. There are thousands and thousands of photographers out there who are happily shooting away without a hitch. Just get a camera and get shooting.

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Feb 21, 2013 at 4:01:42 pm

I agree that after years of use and camera might need some repairs. But, that is not the issue here. Too many people have purchased this camera with issues right out of the box or after just a few months of use. This is not a camera being worn out, it is obviously a firmware manufacturing defect.

It is not limited to 30 posts. It's like a lottery. Some have issues, some don't. I choose not to play the game until the issue is resolved.

Brent Dunn
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro

Return to posts index

Kerry Carloy
on Jun 16, 2014 at 2:16:26 pm

This happened to me this morning. I was trying to stop down and the dial moved, but nothing happened. Yes, Life can send us nasty experiences. I was fortunate I was just shooting a house exterior and not THE KISS at a wedding. (Good reason to have an assistant backing you up?)

I did the battery thing and all went quite well thereafter. I just did the 1.2.3 firmware update; I'm not necessarily making any connection beyond coincidence, but if it happens again soon, I will check into that possibility.

Return to posts index

Andrew Smith
on Jul 1, 2014 at 7:27:57 am

Similar issue happened to me today on Firmware 1.2.3. for the first time

DETAILS

Camera: Canon 5D MkIII
Shutter count: approx. 6000
Mode : Manual STILLS NOT VIDEO

Stage 1 ) All controls froze although all indicator icons showing in viewfinder and LED screen. Pressing the shutter release did nothing and AF did not activate or beep. Turned off and on several times but the same thing persisted.

Stage 2) Turned mode dial to "Green Box Auto" and the AF beeped and shutter released. Turned back to Manual and froze again.

Stage 3) Turned Mode dial to AV, TV etc and all failed except GreenBox Auto AND C2 which I had configured for HS FPS and AI SERVO. (Note: Green Box Auto is AI FOCUS)
Not sure if AI connection is involved here, but it is the only thing I can see that relates the Custom setup to the Green Box Auto other than Auto ISO?

Stage 4)
Revert back to Manual mode from C2 or Green Box Auto , and Freeze again.

Stage 5)
Remove battery and CF card and wait 5 minutes and then restart ....ALL WORKING!

Taking Camera to Canon for diagnosis as this should not happen with a $3000+ Body!!!!!

Andrew

Return to posts index

Andrew Smith
on Jul 3, 2014 at 2:05:04 am

Update from Canon.

Took unit into Canon for diagnosis, noting that some repairs were performed by Canon some 12 months ago due to some impact damage to the body and an attached 70-200 f2.8 ii. Those repairs were replacement of the mirror assembly and rear cover assembly!

Canons Diagnosis this time

Upon inspection unit found to have been affected by some form of liquid penetration as evident by corrosion in the top cover unit which is causing malfunctions to some of the camera functions. Quote to dismantle the unit, supply and replace listed parts to repair. Adjust the unit as required. Reassemble, check and test.

COVER ASS'Y, TOP

Labour $314.00
Parts $181.94
Freight $13.00
Sub Total $ 508.94
GST $50.89

Quotation Total $559.83

I thought the MKiii was supposed to be weather sealed?
This one has hardly been outdoors and done very little work unlike my 7D, so how can water /liquid get into a sealed cover?
If it was due to the original impact damage why wasn't it picked up during the original assessment?

"Discussions" with Canon will continue, and at least the "issue" may have been discovered!

Andrew

Return to posts index

Kenny Turner
on Jan 25, 2015 at 6:29:35 pm

what was the end result with your camera because it seems as though i am having the same issue

Return to posts index

Peter Weinstock
on Mar 16, 2015 at 5:17:15 am

I am also having issues with my 5DkII freezing and only battery removal fixes the problem.
This has recently started when I fitted a Tamron 150-600 lens. The lens has a two stage focus range,
Full or 15m to infinity. Switching from one to the other causes a freeze up sometimes.
Any comments or thoughts?

Return to posts index

Daniel Dugmore
on Jul 5, 2015 at 1:00:55 pm

Hi,
I own a Canon 5D mark iii

Recently, when the camera is in modes outside of AUTO mode none of the function buttons work at all.

Please help.

Return to posts index

Peter Weinstock
on Jul 6, 2015 at 12:39:21 am

Have you tried removing the battery and then replacing it.
This has a different effect to just turning the camera off and on.
Works for me.

Return to posts index

Daniel Dugmore
on Jul 6, 2015 at 8:52:56 am

hi peter, yes battery has been out all night, still the same issue. I fear its a firmware issue.. the cpntrols all work in full auto mode and in p, tv, av, m and b and c nothing works although it will take a picture if you are in mannual focus.. i cant even update the firmware as you do not have that option in auto mode and i cannot restore to factory settings as again in auto mode you dont have that option... i am not hugely techy and i am stuck in the bush in botswana with very limited resources! Thanks for responding!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]