FORUMS: list search recent posts

Selling My Sony EX1 for a 5D Mark III - Crazy?

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lillian Young
Selling My Sony EX1 for a 5D Mark III - Crazy?
on Feb 17, 2013 at 4:20:51 pm

I'm not a pro videographer. I shoot mainly to provide quality videos of my friends' nightclub performances.
That was years ago when the Sony PMW EX1 first came out. Times have changed.

I also added the Canon 5D Mark II to my tools. Over time, the EX1 has gone unused. But recently, someone was doing a show and said I could shoot it. In preparation, I wanted to compare the footage in a test first. I tested the EX1 and Mark II side-by-side (default settings -- I'm no pro). The EX1 seemed to handle low light and panning better. The 5D chugged when panning. Even after I took off the auto stabilizer, it chugged. Thus I used my EX1 -- wrong!

At the event, not only did I feel like a dinosaur since others had rigged-out, compact, easy-to-maneuver DSLRs, but the stage was very poorly lit and my footage was grainy. The other guy had a light that wasn't intrusive, some zooming rig and that's it. He was able to move around with ease. I just can't do it.

Selling my EX1 means trading in a real videocamera in favor of a hybrid where video is secondary, but even as an editor, I have been getting amazing quality DSLR footage. I can no longer justify hanging onto my EX1, so I want to sell both that and the MK II in favor of one Mark III. I know that's a huge leap to go from a real videocamera (and one with a lot of expensive SXS cards) to a DSLR, but today's DSLRs rival prosumer cams, I believe. Yes? No? Opinions?

Video/Motion Graphics Editor

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
Re: Selling My Sony EX1 for a 5D Mark III - Crazy?
on Feb 17, 2013 at 5:36:15 pm

I have a wide range of cameras, including a Canon XF305 and a Mkiii. I can tell you I run into the problems like this alot. First, forget about your "image" of being a dinosaur, my footage on a well lit stage with the XF305 surpasses anything I can get with the Canon, period. The 4:2:2 space is wonderful. However, I do agree that I pick up the 5D far more than the 305. I look at them both as tools, different tools for different jobs. If I am going to be shooting in low light it's always going to be the 5D. If I am shooting a well lit stage, for a two hour show, it's going to be the 305. But yes, if you aren't using the EX1, then sell it now, it won't gain in value in the future!

Ultimately, if you buy the best lenses you can afford with the 5D, you can move up to the C100 or C300 as they come down in price, or your income allows it. I would trade my 5D for a C300, but not for AVCHD and 4:2:0 on the 100. (I might yet eat my words on this issue) But I can't yet justify $15k or so for a single purpose camera, when I can take spectacular stills also on the 5D. Your glass will long outlive your bodies.

Good luck.

Al

Return to posts index

Lillian Young
on Feb 17, 2013 at 6:20:04 pm

Thanks for your response and sharing your similar experiences, Al. Having two isn't in my budget anymore, so I will have to narrow it to one.

You are so right about value. I used to buy and sell quick, before the next model was released. I haven't been able to do that lately. At this point I'm hoping the amazing accessories (cards, cover, bag, etc) will be purchased as a package and cover some of the cam's cost.

Return to posts index

Sareesh Sudhakaran
on Feb 18, 2013 at 9:45:49 am

If you enjoy shooting with the EX1, I suggest you earn a little more and trade up to a C100, which will give you the best of both worlds. A 5D Mark III isn't that big a jump from the Mark II.

Otherwise, why not just keep both?

Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to Reds to the Arri Alexa.

Return to posts index

Jerry Newton
on Feb 18, 2013 at 7:06:22 pm

I have used both the 5D and Canon's XF305. The advantages of the 5D is lens choices and that shallow depth of field people seem to be in love with. However, I also have to record audio to an ancillary device like a Zoom H4v. Even with audio tools like Plural Eyes, on a long shoot, re-syncing all that audio is a PITA. The problem with the shallow depth of field is the subject focus is problematic when doing hand-held work; it is a difficult rig to manage off a tripod. The 5D is a remarkable still camera - likely one of the best.

The Canon XF305 (similar to the EX1) is a superior video imaging device, with up to 50 Mbps recording capability in a 4:2:2 color space. For green screen work this is essential. AND, XLR inputs for discrete balanced audio synced to the picture ! Each device has its benefits but for serious video acquisition, I would always prefer the camera designed for video, not a still camera which can record video.

Jerry Newton

Return to posts index

Lillian Young
on May 12, 2013 at 2:10:31 am

I looked into that and absolutely love the sample footage from the C100 that I've seen online. I thank you for bringing that camera to me attention.

Unfortunately it's not a combination of a DSLR and the EX1 because it's not a still cam. I sold my EX1 before realizing this. But it's okay. As a hobbyist, I have realized that I would rather hold onto the cash and let the pros buy the expensive equipment :)

No more for me because I paid $7k for the EX1 (when it was new) and got about $3k for it. No more.

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Feb 19, 2013 at 5:04:55 pm

I have the EX 1 and I've shot with the 5D Mk II & 7D in a live concert situation.

The EX-1 out performed the DSLR's way better. Images were crisp and shooting wide shots gave me options in post to zoom or crop with detail in the blacks and bright colors.

If you have a poorly lit stage, then you have a poorly lit video, not matter what you use. You should never use a light in a concert situation. You are not part of the show. This should not be part of your camera decision.

That being said, DSLR's are great for music videos, where you don't have flashing lights hitting the sensor. They are not so great with big light shows as the main camera. The EX-1 still out performs any DSLR for any big concert lighting and stage performance.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro
with Final Cut Studio Adobe CS6 Production

Return to posts index

Lillian Young
on May 12, 2013 at 2:15:25 am

Hey Brent. Thanks for sharing.

I promise, that guy's light was not intrusive :) I was so envious of his little DSLR or C100 -- whatever it was. He moved with ease while I stood, sweating with my EX1 on a monopod in a crowd.

Anyway, I have since sold my EX1. But after learning of the C100, I am not interested in the 5D Mk III. I will hold on to what I have (5D Mark II) and my iPhone :)

When finances allow, I will see if the C100 is still amazing and consider that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]