FORUMS: list search recent posts

7D problem never seen before

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Russ Burgess
7D problem never seen before
on Feb 17, 2013 at 2:49:18 am

We shot an interview today to a 16GB sandisk card. When I went to import
the footage with Image Capture it only sees a few short clips from the end of the shoot. When I scroll through play mode on the camera itself, it also only shows the same few clips. This makes no sense as I am positive we were rolling the whole time.

When looking at formatting in the camera menu, it indicates
that there is over 12GB used on the card - which is more to what we shot (and not the few small :30 second clips I can see). Also - the shots remaining counter on the top lcd panel is down to 85 - which would also indicate that there is more on the card then I am able to see.

My only hope is to try and use the card reader in the studio tomorrow and hopefully that will miraculously see all the footage but I am never optimistic.

Has anyone seen this before?

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
Re: 7D problem never seen before
on Feb 17, 2013 at 4:48:19 pm

Sounds like a corrupt file - you may need a rescue app. I advise not doing anything further with the card until you can get it to your machine and find a rescue app of some kind. The only one I've used is http://www.cardrescue.com - there are tons of others, but my issue was a bad card so I couldn't save anything. That's what I get for using cheap cards I guess.

Save early. Save often.

Jonathan Ziegler

http://www.electrictiger.com
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Feb 17, 2013 at 5:27:44 pm

Once on another board, under the Panny heading, there was a post that someone had been in the Panny offices somewhere in the world, and saw a box full of discarded cards. The Panny rep had mentioned to them that they were 'bad' cards that had failed. This was a graphic image that has stuck with me over the last few years, and my own experience has been that cheaper cards fail on me while the Sandisk Extreme Pros have never failed me in three years of shooting. Granted, your sample set of one could be other issues, including a malfunctioning 7D. But I would certainly follow the advice of getting a card saver (though I've never had any success using them on those older cards), and buy a fresh high end card. By the way, you did make sure the card you were using was rated for the camera's throughput? Sandisk makes a wide range of cards. The extreme pros are one of their line that should work fine (and mine have on my 7D). Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Al

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Feb 19, 2013 at 5:07:36 pm

Sound's like a card issue to me.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,