FORUMS: list search recent posts

60D "fading light" (need troubleshooting)

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kelly Griffin
60D "fading light" (need troubleshooting)
on Feb 4, 2013 at 2:43:13 am

I'm a video producer with a new 60D and I just did my first couple of interview shoots last week. Just some simple talking head stuff, locked off shots, and I used a small softbox and an adjustable DLC LED light. Indoors, and with just some ambient (totally overcast) daylight adding to the mix.

As I monitored the interviews in the viewfinder, I saw what looked like a subtle (but definitely noticeable) change in the lighting on the subject; I'm positive the lighting didn't change, but it had the appearance of a cloud on a windy day obscuring the sun a bit-- things would dim slowly and slightly, and then brighten back up again, slowly and slightly.

I'll check again, but I'm pretty positive I'm on "manual everything", but even if I were on auto aperture or something there wouldn't be reason for the exposure going up and down.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

--Kelly

Return to posts index

Sareesh Sudhakaran
Re: 60D "fading light" (need troubleshooting)
on Feb 4, 2013 at 1:42:26 pm

First, the usual suspects: Moving Clouds, trees, special window coating, ambient room lighting dimming, problems with the lights, auto ISO, auto highlight recovery, and so on.

If none of these were issues, then can you see it in your NLE in post production? Is it 'organic' (caused naturally) or something that affects the entire image in one sweep (like fading in or out)?

Can you replicate it by recording blank video of a white wall?

http://www.wolfcrow.com - Workflow information and support for filmmakers, photographers, audiographers and videographers.

Return to posts index

Kelly Griffin
Re: 60D "fading light" (need troubleshooting)
on Feb 4, 2013 at 3:34:12 pm

Well, you just gave me a few other things to check for which I was unaware.

Thanks Sareesh,

--Kelly

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]