FORUMS: list search recent posts

i hate my 5d mark ii, Kronos / Twixtor issue

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Johnny Smith
i hate my 5d mark ii, Kronos / Twixtor issue
on Mar 4, 2011 at 5:08:04 pm

picked up a mark ii a few months ago, shot a few projects with it.
the first observation coming from the 35mm world - the latitude leaves no room in post. They could have done a better job with the codec imho.

But the real problem is it can only shoot up to 30fps which means i have to do slow-mo in post. Kronos and Twixtor both produce artifacts even at 50% speed if there's any semi-fast motion in front of the lens. Is everyone else experiencing the same problem or am I doing something wrong? Could it be the vintage manual hasse prime lens?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: i hate my 5d mark ii, Kronos / Twixtor issue
on Mar 9, 2011 at 2:34:08 am

No Johnny, is all about the fps that you shoot, and you won't get that with any sotware solution (Twixtor, Kronos,..).
If you want 1080 slowmo, or you shoot 720p60 and upscale, or you shoot 1080i60 and rebuild the 1080p60 from there (ReVision FieldsKit).
You are using the wrong tool.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
on Mar 9, 2011 at 9:25:01 am

I disagree with Rafael. Twixtor needs to be learned... the motion sensitivity control is key, especially for shots with a lot of detail.

Also, don't forget shutter speed. Twixtor does far better and the result looks better if you double your shutter speed in anticipation of the emulated frame rate. 50%(60fps) then shoot at 1/125. If you're looking at something really fast moving, I might quadruple it. Twixtor can add motion blur back in to make it feel more natural.

Concerning on-screen latitude, google the superflat camera profile. Any footage shot with it will absolutely need color grading, but it gives you another stop+ of on-screen latitude to play with, especially in the shadows.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Mar 9, 2011 at 1:32:04 pm

[Angelo Lorenzo] "I disagree with Rafael. Twixtor needs to be learned... the motion sensitivity control is key, especially for shots with a lot of detail.
Also, don't forget shutter speed. Twixtor does far better and the result looks better if you double your shutter speed in anticipation of the emulated frame rate. 50%(60fps) then shoot at 1/125. If you're looking at something really fast moving, I might quadruple it. Twixtor can add motion blur back in to make it feel more natural."

Hi Angelo,
And I'm sorry to disagree with you. I'm using Twixtor since few years already, and sorry but can't be compared with what I get shooting 720p50.
Even shooting i50 and going 1080p50 (with FieldsKit; process recommended by ReVision-Twixtor) gives you better picture. No need to generate a full synthetic "full frame" when is enough rebuilding fields.
BTW, I agree with you about controlling the Shutter speed when planing slow motion.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Mar 14, 2011 at 3:39:21 pm

Remember, you are shooting with a still camera that happens to shoot really nice video. 720P at 60 fps if you want smooth slomo.

Use a tripod for the DSLR's. Handheld will give you the dreaded Jello. I've done some steadicam work with ok results, but high speed movements don't sit well with these cameras.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on Mar 15, 2011 at 12:30:37 am

Agree Brett,

Used Canon cameras for 30 years , this really is very, very, good, except the H.264 mov files , but, there is very high quality here.

All productions are broadcast and cinema quality
you will need a very good computer and Premiere Pro or similar .

Freelance Imaging & Video
AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on Mar 15, 2011 at 12:36:28 am

Try only the Image Stablized Lens and preferably the horizontal IS in the 70-200 mm F4 EF for panning.

You will need a good filming technique to get the best out of this camera and lens. Try the fish-eye for fun it is marvellous ?

Freelance Imaging & Video
AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]