COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Currey
Offline/Online workflow with Canon 5D Problem
on Jan 12, 2013 at 2:09:16 am

Hi,
2 years ago I watched Shane Ross's great tutorial on offline/online workflow:
http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/tapeless_online/1
This was from Shane's personal advice on May 2011 and much appreciated it was.

We followed this and the first half worked perfectly. We had footage from the Canon 5D Mark 2, we used Log & Transfer to bring it all in with the canon plug-in 1.0, through Final Cut Pro 7 using Snow Leopard 10.6.8. We made proxies of it all (massive amount of media) and started to edit. Our feature film is now edited and were are now to do the online part of the workflow.
But it won't work. When we media manage the edit and go to batch capture, FCP usually can't find the cards that contain the raw files. Usually when we search for them FCP crashes and we get this message: 'final cut pro quit unexpectedly while using the canonICHL plug-in'.

The cards are preserved as folders with all the file structure the same. We can reimport them through Log and transfer fine should we want, so the file structure is unchanged and works, but the second part of the process will not work.
We have tried copying the cards to new drives in case it was a drive problem, no.
We've tried it through another computer with the same plug-in, no.
We've trashed preferences, no.
We've tried everything we can think of but no luck.

We have a deadline coming up and an amazingly intricate 90 minute timeline that refuses to be anything other than proxy! We are tearing our hair out and wondered if anyone might possibly have any insight, other than the 'Why did you do it this way?' which isn't much help. Shane's video makes it look so easy, and it is a very elegant solution, so what are we missing?

Cheers,
Nick

Final Cut Studio 3
MAC OS X 10.6.7
MacPro4,1
2.66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
6 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 120

Return to posts index

Mark Hall
Re: Offline/Online workflow with Canon 5D Problem
on Apr 12, 2013 at 8:09:43 pm

I'm having the same issue. I see the volumes and can locate them, their file structure was unchanged, but when I batch capture It says volumes listed below not mounted. Did you find a workaround?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Nick Currey
Re: Offline/Online workflow with Canon 5D Problem
on Apr 15, 2013 at 12:21:30 pm

Hi,

I did find a workaround, but it won't make you jump for joy… we swapped out all the Proxies for HD files, one by one.

The process is:
Make a copy version of the whole master timeline.
Have all the Proxy files one one drive and linked up with this timeline.
Look at the Proxy files one by one along the timeline.
Search for the Raw file it came from on the saved card files.
Batch encode that Raw file to ProResHD and name it IDENTICALLY to the Proxy file - and store on a separate drive.
Take the Proxy drive offline.
Delete all render files.
Relink all media on timeline with the ProResHD files.
Re-render.
Voila.

One reason for doing it this was that we had 1000's of unique transitions, colour-corrections, effects and filters on most clips, so the swapping out should preserve them all. And it did, amazingly, as you are effectively fooling your project that the new footage is the old footage.

Unfortunately we had renamed our Proxies during the original offline capture process. The process we were going to use remembers which raw file the proxy is 'of' but if that process doesn't work it's not obvious how to relink the correct clips unless visually - i.e. look at the first frame of the proxy then look for the same in the raw files. This sounds mad but the renaming convention we used for the proxies included the individual card number, so the search wasn't THAT bad.

We used MPEG Streamclip for the transcode - much faster than Compressor and it could work in the background whilst searching for the next in line. Be careful to get the exact right transcode setting for your HD files and remember to uncheck the 'interlaced scaling' box or all your lovely progressive footage will get interlaced. I strongly advise you do a few tests!
You get into a rhythm after a while and I found it quite pleasing and useful to review the film this closely - we found a couple of errors and even a couple of better shots. But even so it took 4 days.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Nick

Final Cut Studio 3
MAC OS X 10.6.7
MacPro4,1
2.66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
6 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 120

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved