FORUMS: list search recent posts

DSLR Camera Recomendations

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Cooney
DSLR Camera Recomendations
on Jan 11, 2013 at 5:41:06 pm

Hello. I'm a video editor/motion gfx artst by trade. I shoot ocasionally but haven't shot regularly in over 5 years. I'm somewhat familiar with the D800 and 60D. I'd like to be able to do some side work pro bono for non-profits such as missionary work, veterans pieces, special needs children. These would be for very small start up non-profits. Mostly shot outdoors, although I do have acces to lighting as well. I'm wondering what camera you would reccomend - as the DSLR avenue seems the most inexpensive and practical route for me to take. And how are the stock lenses on the 60D? Or what would you reccomend? Thanks.

MotionFoundry, Inc. Video Post
Clients: GM, AOL, Kohl's, 3 Doors Down, IKEA, Kelloggs, Toyota, Thomas Nelson, NASCAR Affiliates

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: DSLR Camera Recomendations
on Jan 11, 2013 at 9:44:22 pm

I'd buy a DSLR for use with your other clients -- they can fit in tight spots, and you can shoot incognito with one -- and also have it handy for non-profit use.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

John Young
on Jan 11, 2013 at 10:05:46 pm

Working with sound on DSLRs is doable, but can really be a pain when in run and gun situations.

What will you be doing for sound? I think this will play a major role in what camera will work best for you.

John Young
Surrounding Media

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Jan 11, 2013 at 10:38:19 pm

John. Ambient sound would be great... which of these have a built in mic. that doesn't need to be anything great. But if they did interviews with people in the field. Just quick stuff, be great if they could plug a handheld into the thing. Can't remeber if I saw any of these with XLR inputs.. what do you suggest? Ife we needed to keep it low budget.. what audio opitons would be available. For instance this one person helps folks in Haiti and if she interviewed man on the street or just had handheld to speak into why another person was shooting, that owuld eb the ideal. Most of this stuff would be shot outdoors anyway. thanks!

Clients: GM, AOL, Kohl's, 3 Doors Down, IKEA, Kelloggs, Toyota, Thomas Nelson, NASCAR Affiliates

Return to posts index

Mike Drew
on Jan 12, 2013 at 1:45:27 am

The 60D is the best bang for the buck in my opinion. I've been using one for the last couple of years shooting newspaper video and I love it.
You won't find any DSLR's WITH XLR'S so forget that. Get a good small mic like the Rode Videomic Pro and an extension cable so you can take it off the shoe and stick it close to the interviewee's face and you'll be good for the vast majority of your stuff.
Make sure you get a Zacuto finder or some other loupe to put on the back of the camera. It's essential for seeing the screen for proper focus in bright light and it also gives you a third point of contact to make things steadier when you're hand-holding.
The kit lenses are adequate but that's about the kindest thing you can say about them. Sigma and Tamron both make excellent small zooms in the 17-70 range that are very affordable. I use the Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 on a daily basis and it's fantastic. The image stabilization on it works amazingly well.
But be aware that shooting video with a DSLR is not like shooting with a dedicated video camera. There's no autofocus so manual focus is the only way to go. And you never want to shoot with automatic exposure or auto white balance if you can possible avoid it. It can be a nightmare to edit video with the exposure and color jumping all over the place. Be sure to practice with the camera - any camera - a bunch before you try to shoot something important. NGO's like nice looking video as much as anyone else.
Good luck!!

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Jan 12, 2013 at 4:15:17 am

thanks great stuff!

Return to posts index

Sareesh Sudhakaran
on Jan 12, 2013 at 10:47:15 am

A different option: A Sony EA50, or even an FS100 if your budget allows for it.

http://www.wolfcrow.com - Workflow information and support for filmmakers, photographers, audiographers and videographers.

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Jan 12, 2013 at 12:47:01 pm

Thanks Sareesh!

Return to posts index

John Young
on Jan 14, 2013 at 3:51:26 pm

I say this as a proud Canon 7D owner, for interviews a Panasonic GH2 or GH3 is the only DSLR I would go with due the Canon's record time limit. Stopping every 12 minutes kills an interview's flow and momentum, and for emotional content it is a deal breaker for me.
Imagine, your interviewee is 10 minutes into a story about visiting Haiti right after the earthquake, and seeing all the people in need, and this one particular Haitian that really touched their heart, and the interviewee starts to tear up and give you this great touching line. And you have to stop recording, wait a few seconds, re-slate the shot, and start again. Not good.

I am not too familiar with Sony's options, so I can't say if they have a time limit or not.

For speaking subjects in uncontrolled environments (on the street, in an office, in someone's home) an on-camera mic is not going to give you good results. I guess this may depend on your definition of "good", but an on-camera mic will give you "amateur good" but not "professional good" If you are doing this by-yourself, I would suggest wireless lavs. If you are just getting ambient sound, then an on-camera mic is fine.

John Young
Surrounding Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]