FORUMS: list search recent posts

transcoding H.264 to Avid DNxHD or other codec?

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Raul Dederichs
transcoding H.264 to Avid DNxHD or other codec?
on Nov 30, 2012 at 7:32:06 am

Hi,

I know this has probably been discussed over and over, I am actually quite nauseous of reading about it on millions of HDSL workflow descriptions, but as I am not clear about it I was wandering if anyone of you is.
To clarify: I am on a PC, therefore denoising and transcoding to Avid DNxHD used to be part of my standard workflow. Since CS6 came along I sometimes skipped this step an simply edited native footage. Now I have a timeline where some of the footage is native H.264 with color correction (mainly LUT & colorista II) applied while other footage has been rendered, with special effects and so on, in Avid DNxHD. Just for the record, I had always assumed that using the avid codec with 10 bit color space would give me at least a bit more latitude with color correction, but now that I see this timeline all the Avid codec footage looks awful, I transcoded some more footage to make some before and after comparisons and it turns out the avid footage totally falls apart, specially in gradients, and I am not pushing the limits, I mean I simply apply the standard cinestyle LUT and the whole image is filled with, I don't even know what to call it, noise? Not really because denoising won't get rid of it, aliasing? No clue, will appreciate your experience on this!

http://africashot.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]