FORUMS: list search recent posts

Overlaying stills with video seamlessly with t3i

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian Campbell
Overlaying stills with video seamlessly with t3i
on Nov 1, 2012 at 8:29:25 pm

I'm doing a project where we are shooting video 1920x1080 for one shot, then shooting stills with dragon stop motion for a second layer, then compositing them toegether for the final shot. The export settings fromdragon is 1920x1280, so I zoom in 105.5% andcrop the top and bottom out. It seems hard to get them to match up very closely even tweaking the size, the angles are off as if its shot with two different focal lengths.

Is this because the mirror is active when shooting stills, or perhaps something to do with how the sensor is used?

Thanks for any info.

Return to posts index

Sareesh Sudhakaran
Re: Overlaying stills with video seamlessly with t3i
on Nov 2, 2012 at 2:17:51 pm

The video uses the full size of the sensor with line skipping to lower the resolution to 1080p. While if you shoot a full Rez still photograph and crop, the depth of field and field of view is bound to be different because you are not using the full size of the sensor.

Also consider the possibility of lens distortions. These are easy to correct on stills but tough on video.

It's tough to say what the problem is without images and details of your setup, incl lens choices and distance to subject.

Hope this helps.

http://www.wolfcrow.com - Workflow information and support for filmmakers, photographers, audiographers and videographers.

Return to posts index

Ian Campbell
Re: Overlaying stills with video seamlessly with t3i
on Nov 2, 2012 at 8:40:16 pm

Ah, thanks for responding, I thought it was something like that.
I believe the lense used is the stock canon 18-55m. I don't have any images, but I'm guessing we'll have to figure some other way to accomplish this. It's funny, my little canon hf10 has a 16x9 still frame mode, but they didn't see fit to include a similar mode in the EOS cameras.

[Sareesh Sudhakaran] "The video uses the full size of the sensor with line skipping to lower the resolution to 1080p. While if you shoot a full Rez still photograph and crop, the depth of field and field of view is bound to be different because you are not using the full size of the sensor.

Also consider the possibility of lens distortions. These are easy to correct on stills but tough on video.

It's tough to say what the problem is without images and details of your setup, incl lens choices and distance to subject."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]