FORUMS: list search recent posts

NOISE Reduction on 7D?

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gavin Williams
NOISE Reduction on 7D?
on Oct 31, 2012 at 12:51:59 pm

I shoot with a 7D - more often than not using my 18-55mm Canon Lens. Some shots turn out absolutely stunning while others are plagued with noise. What I don't understand is why such a big difference when sometimes the shots with noise were shot in relatively light conditions. It seems like a lottery on how they will turn out. Any tips would be really appreciated!!

I never go above 800 ISO by the way

Thanks

Gavin

Return to posts index

John Young
Re: NOISE Reduction on 7D?
on Oct 31, 2012 at 2:05:26 pm

That lens is a variable f-stop; f3.5 at 18mm but only f5.6 at 55mm. What f-stops and ISOs are you noticing the problem with?

I would assume that you are seeing more noise when your f-stop is 5.6 and you are having to compensate with an ISO of 800.

Return to posts index

Gavin Williams
on Oct 31, 2012 at 2:28:55 pm

Hey John

Thanks for coming back on this. I seem to have written the wrong lens down - I actually use the 17-55mm Canon lens which is a constant F.Stop.

I just struggle to get sharp focus on a deep shot - so if I have someone walking from behind the camera across the shot to the other side of the room and I want them in focus the whole time I struggle to get sharp results.

Also the noise always seems at its worse in the midtones?

Gavin

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Nov 1, 2012 at 2:54:10 pm

Are you using an L-Series lens?

I only have issues when I crank up my ISO to 1600. But sometimes, if your Fstop is too bright on the camera, it'll cause some issues.

Use your auto focus button to lock in your focus. Also use your magnification button to check your focus.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite