FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pondering 5D MKIII...thoughts from those having used both?

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Al Bergstein
Pondering 5D MKIII...thoughts from those having used both?
on Oct 25, 2012 at 4:57:05 pm

So I'm sure this has come up before on this thread, can't seem to find it in search. I'm pondering a 5D MKiii, to add to my 7D for shooting almost entirely video, usually at 1080p and 30 or 24p. While I understand that there are technical differences between the two, the addition of monitoring audio when I'm shooting it in camera is a huge plus, those of you that have shot with both, what are your basic thoughts on whether you've found one to be the go to for you over the other? I am too far away from a city to rent one, by the way. I've read a bunch on line and seen the Phil Bloom review, etc. It seems a no brainer, but the price is pretty steep, and if I should just spend the money on better lenses, then that's worth knowing too. $3k to $3.5k would buy two very nice primes!

Frankly, I'm getting pretty good video with the 7D, but find that my xf305 is better almost across the board for most things I can lug it to (when shooting video). But I do take a lot of stills, for stock, when on my shoots, so having the backup of the HDSLR is a requirement. I usually carry the 7D with me even when using the xf305 for that reason.

It seems like I should be able to notice the difference if I shoot a 7D vs a 5D for video, side by side. But...

your quick thoughts please? Thanks in advance...

Al

Return to posts index

Mike Drew
Re: Pondering 5D MKIII...thoughts from those having used both?
on Oct 26, 2012 at 4:07:32 pm

This is an observation from just a couple of months of shooting with the 5D III. It is an absolutely spectacular camera and well worth the investment, especially now with the price dipping closer to the $3000 mark. I love it.
Having said that, though, for most of my video uses, unless you are shooting in very low light or find yourself shooting a lot of things that generate moire patterns - brick walls, ripples on sand dunes or lakes, things like that - you will see very little difference between the video from your 7D and that of the 5D III. The option to shoot all-I on the 5D will make a difference as the bit rate is much higher but if your primary vector for your videos is the internet, the difference will be virtually invisible.
As a news shooter - both stills and video - I have very little control over light and that simple fact alone makes the 5D III worth every penny. The low-light abilities of this camera are amazing. The shallow depth-of-focus thing is kinda cool, too. But again, it really depends on what your primary goal is. For me, working in unpredictable conditions, the 5D III is indispensable. For you, who knows.
But overall, I'd recommend that you just buy it. It's an amazing camera and you'll have no regrets. It's a better camera in every way - except FPS - than the 7D. Too bad you can't rent one just to try but I'm sure you'll love it once you get it.

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Oct 26, 2012 at 4:28:06 pm

Thanks Mike. I shoot a lot of documentary style work, and it's been in lower light clips that I've had the most disappointment with the 7D video footage. I'm skilled enough to know that I'm doing things 'right' with the shots, my xf305 stuff looks fine, but the 'mud' that I sometimes get with the 7D is aggravating. I assume that with the lenses I shoot with that I should do better. I've shot stage lit projects, as well, three camera shoots, my 305 and a friend's GH2 and the 7D was the dog of the litter.

Last evening I took a look at the 5D review on DP-review, and that sort of clarified the 'noise' I was seeing with the 7D. (they do a great job of showing it against other cameras). I may hold out just a bit longer to see just how good the GH-3 is, but changing work flow, batteries and cards (lots of CF high capacity) just seems dumb to do, unless it was considerably better, which I doubt. I also think micro four thirds (as well as APS-C) is a transitional thing, that all professional cameras will be full frame sensors as soon as the technology allows it.

Al

Return to posts index

Mike Drew
on Oct 26, 2012 at 5:14:56 pm

I'm sure the GH3 will be a great camera but as you said, changing workflows may not be worth the fight. And finding a suite of lenses that work for it may be a bit expensive, too. Look around for other reviews beyond DPReview, though. And for God's sake, don't read the DPR comments!!! Your head will explode. If it helps, I can send you a short clip of a crime scene I shot last night at ISO 12800 in just about the worst-case lighting you can imagine. All things considered, it looks pretty darn good.
Best of luck with your decision.

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Oct 26, 2012 at 5:59:15 pm

I usually don't read through the comments unless I'm up in the middle of the night and bored (G). Would love to see the high end footage. I posted a small clip I shot with my 7D a couple of years ago at a concert, where I was shooting the crowd with only stage light spill. It was sort of amazing what the high end ISO 12800, on the 7D is capable of. If you watch this, watch it at full screen in HD to see the full effect.

Al

Return to posts index

tim garland
on Dec 2, 2012 at 9:20:43 am

[Mike Drew] "Too bad you can't rent one just to try but I'm sure you'll love it once you get it."

You can just rent it to try it actually... aperturent.com (they ship to you as well).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]