FORUMS: list search recent posts

7D/Firmware Update/Rode videomic pro

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Karner
7D/Firmware Update/Rode videomic pro
on Oct 15, 2012 at 4:35:58 pm

Hi. Just updated my firmware(Yay! Finally!) and popped on my new rode videomic pro. This is my first rode, I normally do zoom h4n and an xlr shotgun or boom mic, but I've got some projects that I'd love to just run and gun with the rode going directly into the 7D and with the audio manually adjusted.
That said, here's what I'm running into. I adjusted the audio down to between the 1st and 2nd notch on the 7D in audio adjustment. Made a rough idea of what it is. Imagine the audio line and the left side is the bottom, and the I's are the notches, star is where I've set it. [__I_*__I___I___] So, pretty low.
Then I attached the rode and plugged it into the mic input on the 7D. Immediately, I can see that the Left channel remains down, but the right channel already indicates a sound level, like 5 squares up, and this is a quiet room and I'm not talking. I spoke into the mic and played it back, and it's got a pretty strong background noise along with a low hiss. I tried the internal mic at the same settings, and there was no hiss and it actually sounded really good. Anyone have any thoughts on why the mic did that when plugged into the 7D?

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
Re: 7D/Firmware Update/Rode videomic pro
on Oct 16, 2012 at 4:05:23 pm

You might have the mic on High DB instead of the Low setting. Are you able to monitor the audio?

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite