FORUMS: list search recent posts

5DMKII vs MKIII video data rate

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Weinberg
5DMKII vs MKIII video data rate
on Oct 13, 2012 at 10:30:56 pm

Just did my first job with a 5DMKIII, specifically a MKIII ACam wide shot (IPB compression) and a MKII BCam for close ups. With both cameras shooting the same amount of footage, I was surprised to see the MKII filling up cards far more quickly than the MKIII.

When I returned home to review the footage, I noticed that the MKIII was shooting at a data rate of about 34MB/s while the MKII was shooting at about 44MB/s. i was kind of shocked to see this having never seen this mentioned anywhere.

looking at the footage it also did seem like at lower ISOs, the MKII output a cleaner image than the MKIII.

can anyone comment on this? i was planning on replacing my old MKII with a 6D or MKIII, but if these new cameras have a less clean image at lower ISOs in IPB than a MKII, i may just replace my old MKII with a new MKII.

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
Re: 5DMKII vs MKIII video data rate
on Oct 19, 2012 at 4:15:06 pm

Philip Bloom's video review of the MKIII might have something for your question on the quality. He said that the anti-aliasing might be working against a great "out of the box" look to the footage, but that he found that applying a sharpening adjustment to it in Premiere for example, actually produced a much sharper image than the MKII could, and his examples are stunning. Take a look on Vimeo or at his blog site. It's really worth a watch, and has convinced me to buy the camera as soon as I can.

As far as the size of the files, not sure on that one.

Al

Return to posts index

Adam Weinberg
on Oct 23, 2012 at 11:33:42 pm

yup, i've seen philp's review video.. which unfortunately didn't address my question. and i'm not concerned about the file size per se (who wouldn't want smaller file sizes?), but the data rate. the MKIII in IPB appears to have a significantly lower data rate than the MKII, and this has me concerned compression artifacts will be more visible on a MKIII than a mark MKII at lower ISOs (the MKIII obviously has better high ISO noise handling).

if i'm going to spend 40% more for a MKIII over a MKII, i want to know that i'm going to be getting *at least* equivalently clean video at ISO 100, and judging by the data rate numbers i'm looking at, that most likely isn't the case.

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Oct 24, 2012 at 12:14:52 am

That is interesting. I'm in the same boat, wondering about whether to buy the MkIII. Philip seems to say that it's better, once you apply the sharpening filter to it.

Al

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]