FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon 60D Recommendations

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Owen Marshall
Canon 60D Recommendations
on Oct 13, 2012 at 3:07:12 pm

Good morning guys...

I'm thinking of purchasing a Canon EOS 60D (due mainly to its rumored solid HD video and stills relative to other cameras in this price range). My problem (aside from a small budget and lack of formal training) is that I do a lot of "guerrilla" style work where I'll have very little control over the lighting.

Most of my shooting (stills and video) will be done in low light (at live performances) and on the streets of NYC at night. I'm basically documenting the independent hip-hop scene in NYC through video and stills by capturing performances, interviews, studio sessions, music videos, etc. As you might imagine, I'm operating on a very small budget.

• First, is the Canon 60D suitable for this type of application? If not, is there a better camera in the same price range?
  • What lens would you recommend I start out with?
  • What camera-mounted light would you recommend?
  • What would be the ideal camera settings for use with the recommended lens and light (assuming my subject will typically be under 30 feet away)?

I know that there are a lot of variables that will go into getting great images, but I'm looking for a good starting point to work from. My biggest concern is avoiding graininess and excessive loss of detail--problems I've experienced in the past with my Sony HVR HD1000U.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]