FORUMS: list search recent posts

Where to go after the 7D Philip Bloom tutorial?

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Sirabella
Where to go after the 7D Philip Bloom tutorial?
on Sep 29, 2012 at 3:56:15 pm

A couple years ago I wanted to build a studio to shoot web series and finally I can say we are pretty much there but unfortunately I am not there in terms of my ability to use the first piece of equipment I bought, the Cannon 7D. I have been using DPs on all the projects and only once did 2nd camera and found myself quite lacking.

I picked up the Philip Bloom 7D video tutorial and found it be excellent. I have the Cannon 7D with the stock lens, a great video tripod, a small sony external monitor with shoulder rig, the H4N and wired mike.

I would like to know what you folks would feel the next pieces of equipment to pick up are?

Based upon the video, set of prime lenses as most of the guys I worked with said that is key, view finder, vari nd? Not sure about matte box as it seemed expensive and can be picked up later on.

I really want to be able to shoot my own series one day.

We have shot with the RED Epic and it does look amazing and thinking about picking up the RED scarlet one day and wonder if later in the future all of this would be a waste. I do not think so as we mix footage all the time here and I also believe this camera is a great one to really get your hands dirty and learn.

Thoughts on any of the above? Thank you all for reading.

-js
Fever Dreams

Return to posts index

John Young
Re: Where to go after the 7D Philip Bloom tutorial?
on Oct 4, 2012 at 6:52:51 pm

So, you have got yourself good camera, a lens, audio recorder, microphone, and even an external monitor. Sounds to me like all you need to do is go out and start shooting, not necessarily buy more equipment.

If you feel like you are not ready to replace the DPs on your series yet, find something else to shoot. Find a script, or write one yourself, do a lot of planning, and then shoot it. You will learn and (if you are smart and research and learn from your mistakes) your next project will be better, and so on and so on.

I know a lot of people that are itching for that next piece of gear that will solve all of their problems. I don't think it works that way. You have a good basic setup that has the possibility to tell great stories. Now it is just up to you.

good luck,
John

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]