FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pal / NTSC H.264's

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Claire Selim
Pal / NTSC H.264's
on Sep 25, 2012 at 11:34:02 pm

Hi there,

I was wondering if someone might be kind enough to offer some thoughts / advice on a question I have?

I'm from the UK, but am in Canada at the moment and am in the middle of shooting a short video for a small non profit here in Vancouver. Just a project for free, to keep me busy...

They are keen to have the completed video on the web, as well as on DVD's.

I shot the footage on my Canon 5D mk ii - as PAL 1080p at 24fps.

I am editing on Avid MC6 (student edition) and am wondering if the fact I have shot PAL h.264's means I won't be able to produce DVD's for them?

My MacBook Pro was bought in the UK - if I burnt off a DVD for them (using software still to be bought - and not sure which yet - perhaps one type would be more successful than another?) would it play in a Canadian DVD player?

Sorry to ask such a basic question! Any help / advice anybody would offer would be amazing.

Thanks so much!
Claire

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
Re: Pal / NTSC H.264's
on Sep 26, 2012 at 7:56:02 am

Hi, Claire!

PAL and NTSC are standards for SD television, so they are of abolutely no issue, when working in HD.

In fact, even the possibility to "record" in PAL or NTSC on an HD cam like the 5DII is technically not correct.
Not sure, why the Canon engineers offered that. I guess it's because PAL and NTSC are seen as common terms for "PAL = European video" and "NTSC = American video". Technically there's no difference between "PAL" and "NTSC" in HD other than the framerate.

If you switch your camera to PAL, it won't offer the possibility to use 29,97fps with 1080 or 59,94fps with 720, if you switch to NTSC 25fps (with 1080) or 50fps (with 720) are not available, while 24fps (or to be more precise: 23,976fps) are available in both modes.

So, no problem there.

The only problem that could think of, is to create DVDs from 24p material, since not every authoring software offers that feature.

------------------------------------------
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot." - Buster Keaton

Me on Twitter (english/german)
http://twitter.com/FastFoodVideo

Return to posts index

Claire Selim
on Sep 26, 2012 at 3:38:12 pm

Hi Peter,

That's great news! Thank you so much for all the help & advice - I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out!

Phew!
Thanks again,
Claire

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Sep 26, 2012 at 3:39:00 pm

Glad I helped! All the best!

------------------------------------------
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot." - Buster Keaton

Me on Twitter (english/german)
http://twitter.com/FastFoodVideo