FORUMS: list search recent posts

7d lens

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Sheline
7d lens
on Feb 25, 2011 at 8:19:53 pm

I'm considering buying a 7d mainly for video purposes. I'm thinking about purchasing it with canon's EF-S 18-135 IS f/3.5-5.6 IS lens (the standard kit lens), but have read some less than favorable reviews of this lens, and was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for a decently fast zoom lens with IS that would produce a bit better image quality than the kit lens? I definitely don't have the budget for something like the EF 35-350mm L, much as I'd love it.

What lenses are people using to shoot video on their 7ds?

Return to posts index

John Davidson
Re: 7d lens
on Feb 25, 2011 at 9:26:02 pm

I use 3 lenses. A 24mm L 1.4, a 50mm L 1.2, and lastly a 10-22mm Sigma. We have the 75-200 kit zoom lens - and it stays in the Pelican case 100% of the time. For video I'd be hard pressed to use anything closer than the 50mm because even the slightest camera touch can look like an earthquake when you're zoomed in tight. Keep in mind, the APS-C sensor crops everything on the 7D to where 50mm is more like 64mm.

If you're looking at the 7D, a 5D isn't much more expensive. Or, perhaps you could skip the 7D and get a T3i that's coming out in a few weeks. Personally, I'm looking forward to a 5D Mark III (or will it be called 6D?). Canon has a press even on 3/1 from what I hear, and they're certainly due for a 5D refresh.

The 7D can't handle the Magic Lantern software, so you can't bump up the data rate on it if that's something you're interested in.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]