FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shooting Documentary with EOS 7D

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Spangler
Shooting Documentary with EOS 7D
on Aug 31, 2012 at 8:27:05 pm

Hi, I was thinking of purchasing an EOS 7D to shoot my documentary, but I can't get past the 12-minute take restriction (i.e., not very conducive to shooting long interviews). Anyone have any thoughts?

Return to posts index

John Young
Re: Shooting Documentary with EOS 7D
on Aug 31, 2012 at 9:53:44 pm

The 12 minute limit is troublesome. Although I use my 7D alot, (and I really love it), that is why I have never done an interview with the 7D as my 'A' Camera.

I have been on shoots where we had to stop and start the interview to keep within the 12 minute limit and it is really a hassle and can have a big impact on what you get out of the interviewee. It stops emotional or thought-driven momentum. And really when you are doing an interview 12 minutes really doesn't last very long.

Why are you leaning towards 7D?

John

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Sep 1, 2012 at 6:31:57 am

Agree with John. Shooting interviews with any Canon VDSLR as an A cam is not the perfect solution.
Even when using Magic Lantern (which is AFAIK available for all Canons other than the 7D) to automatically start a new clip when reaching the 12min. limit, you'll still won't get seamless video and audio for it skips a second or so when starting the new clip.

------------------------------------------
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot." - Buster Keaton

Me on Twitter (english/german)
http://twitter.com/FastFoodVideo

Return to posts index

Sareesh Sudhakaran
on Sep 1, 2012 at 11:59:11 am

The Panasonic GH2 is a brilliant alternative that has better video quality and more features. Plus it can take a lot more lenses.

Hope this helps.

http://wolfcrow.com/blog/ - Workflow information and support for filmmakers, photographers, audiographers and videographers.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]