FORUMS: list search recent posts

Does video damages or consumes DSLR camera quicker?

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
erzen pashaj
Does video damages or consumes DSLR camera quicker?
on Aug 29, 2012 at 9:25:55 pm

Since i bought my DSLR camera i didnt use it so much for video because i am afraid that will be consumed very quickly.
I think that a photo camera is a photo camera and if you use it for purposes like video it will damage the sensor quicker than making photos.
We know that the camera can make a certain number of photos lets say 100.000.

When we shoot video with photo camera do we affect this number?

Return to posts index

David Eaks
Re: Does video damages or consumes DSLR camera quicker?
on Aug 29, 2012 at 11:24:10 pm

If by "the camera can take a certain number of photos", you are referring to the expected lifespan of the shutter. No, I don't think so. The "shutter" during video is electronic, offloading the image. Not physically opening and closing the shutter.

There is of course potential for increased wear on the electronics and circuitry. If your camera gets really hot while recording I would limits its use for video. But IMO it is rediculous to worry about whether or not using a cameras standard functions, in normal conditions, are wearing it out. IT'S A CAMERA! Use it up, make your investment in glass, by the time the camera wears out it will be long since antiquated and time for a newer better body anyway. Unless your talking about repeatedly recording for extended periods of time in extreme conditions.

Just my thoughts, not like I'm an expert on DSLRs lifespan. Don't even own a DSLR but I've been shooting video for the majority of my life.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Aug 29, 2012 at 11:53:54 pm

I'd like a real expert to respond, but afaik, David is correct that standard video mode does not require the shutter to open and close.

But timelapse video is a different story; a short, 30-second sequence at 30fps requires 900 shutter operations, which is a significant amount.

A question to the experts: would using mirror lock-up during timelapses help with the wear and tear? Is it even possible?

Bob C

Return to posts index

erzen pashaj
on Sep 1, 2012 at 6:29:37 pm

Thank you for your advice David. Wrilly i was worried about and didnt use the camera to shoot video. Since i had a video camera. But all my colleagues were teasing me to use the photo camera because it has more res.

Anyway now i got other conception on the thing.

Thank you!

Erzen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]