FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trouble with Canon 60D footage and H4N Zoom audio...

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Teresa Seito
Trouble with Canon 60D footage and H4N Zoom audio...
on Jul 23, 2012 at 5:06:35 am

I know Peter Burger tends to have a lot of this information so I'm writing this mainly to him to see if he has any answers.

So I captured video with my 60D and audio with my H4N Zoom. The video is 1920 x1080 p at 23.976 fps (24fps) and the audio is a .wav file at 48kHz with at 24 bits.

So I imported both into Premiere Pro and synced them up beautifully. Then when I exported the file as a Quicktime, the footage remained crisp but the audio appeared not to sync.

I did some research and I added the AAC compression to the audio and it seemed to sync a little better after exporting the file as a Quicktime from Premiere but not a whole lot.

To continue investigating the issue, I opened the exported Quicktime file (the first one) with the lack of sync (which had synced beautifully in Premiere in AE and voila! It opened and played beautifully synced.

But then when I rendered the file as a Quick Time in After Effects just to test the rendering, again the file came out as unsynced. If i add some compression to the audio, the file comes out a little bit synced. But still off. Then when I export it as a mp4 or as an AVI, the file appears beautifully synced again, BUT the video looks HORRIBLE with horrible artifacts.

How can I export a file that will have the synced audio and video as I have it laid out in Premiere? Why does my choice only seem to be poor looking video with sync, great looking video unsynced, or great looking video and nearly synced. I'm not the only person who has used AE,PP, and tried to marry Canon 60D footage with H4N Zoom audio, there has to be a solution.... ?

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
Re: Trouble with Canon 60D footage and H4N Zoom audio...
on Jul 23, 2012 at 10:35:52 am

[Teresa Seito] "I know Peter Burger tends to have a lot of this information so I'm writing this mainly to him to see if he has any answers."

Now I know, why my wife calls me a nerd ;)

But to be honest, I have no real answer. Sorry! It's a more or less common problem, that synced audio from a Zoom seems to drift after a while.

Paul Kagawa wrote an interesting article on his blog about the issue (compared the Zoom with the Tascam DR40):
http://www.paulkagawa.com/blog/2012/03/14/tascam-dr-40-sync-drift-fcpx-audi...

Strange thing is indeed the "synced in Premiere and AE - unsynced when playing" issue. Never had that problem myself. But when working with synced sound, I have only very small clips of about max. 3min.

Three things spring to my mind.

- Could be the player - so have you tried to play the clips on a different computer or with a different media-player?
- Could be a Premiere issue (What version are you working with?)
- Or it's indeed a codec-issue...

[Teresa Seito] "Then when I export it as a mp4 or as an AVI, the file appears beautifully synced again, BUT the video looks HORRIBLE with horrible artifacts."

So the problem here seems to be a bitrate-problem. If you increase the video bitrate, the video should look fine. With FullHD at 24fps, a bitrate of about 25 - 35 (with H.264) should give you very good quality, depending on the footage.

I hope this helps a bit... But I'm perfectly sure, there are guys here who do know much more about those kind of problems than me.

------------------------------------------
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot." - Buster Keaton

Me on Twitter (english/german)
http://twitter.com/FastFoodVideo

Return to posts index

Teresa Seito
on Aug 20, 2012 at 1:23:17 am

Thank you very much! All the information is indeed helpful!

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Sep 3, 2012 at 9:10:08 pm

Glad I helped a bit!

All the best!

------------------------------------------
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot." - Buster Keaton

Me on Twitter (english/german)
http://twitter.com/FastFoodVideo

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]