FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do I convert 29.97 Canon 7D footage to 24 fps??

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

Nicole Elmer
How do I convert 29.97 Canon 7D footage to 24 fps??
on Jul 17, 2012 at 4:38:32 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm producing a feature film and our editor just noticed that the DP shot everything at 29.97fps on the Canon 7D, with the claim that "you get more information." Uh, okay. Now, I'm not sure what he means, but I'm frankly baffled why a DP would shoot a feature film at 29.97fps.

We've researched a bit on converting to 24fps, and found Phillip Bloom's video tutorial from 2009 about converting 5d footage to 24 fps, when shot at 29.97. I am just concerned that we aren't going to get the footage, once converted, to look how it SHOULD have looked if shot at 24fps.

Does anyone have any insight into or experience with this issue, and what else we can do to make this footage look more "cinematic," and get rid of this odd broadcast news quality? Or are we screwed with 29.97 footage that no matter what we do, will never look how it should have if the DP shot it at the correct frame rate.

We are editing in FCP 7, have transcoded all the footage to ProRes LT. The film will be put through Apple's Color once locked.

Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]