FORUMS: list search recent posts

5d mark iii zoom h4n timecode sync

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eben Abbaan
5d mark iii zoom h4n timecode sync
on Jul 12, 2012 at 8:39:02 pm

I shoot with a 5d mark iii and record audio externally on a zoom h4n, and sync sound in pluraleyes (so far really digging pluraleyes 3). Setting my timecode to 'free run' on the 5d, I set the date/time on both the 5d and the zoom to ALMOST the same time (i.e. I unscientifically tried to push 'set' at the same time on my 5d mark 3 and zoom h4n). They are within one second of each other, which I was hoping would be useful when getting an approximate location when manually syncing audio and video (i.e. cleaning up the clips Pluraleyes misses).

However, when I bring audio clips and video clips into Premiere, the timecodes of the clips are only off by the same constant (about 26 frames), when I shoot 1080p30 on the 5d; when I shoot 1080p24, the relation between the timecode changes.

I don't do complicated multicamera shoots and have no need for another piece of equipment (i.e. one that forces a timecode into the camera). I just was hoping I could utilize timecode in syncing, as I mention above. Anybody know what I might do?

Thanks....

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
Re: 5d mark iii zoom h4n timecode sync
on Jul 13, 2012 at 1:00:39 pm

The trick you are using is not strange at all.
(At least you have something if things go bad...)

What i don't get is how you get so close.
The timestamp on the files is not the file creation time, but the end of the recording.
Thus, if you STOP record on both devices at the same time, you're good.
Otherwise you have to subtract the duration of the clip from the found time value.

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]