FORUMS: list search recent posts

Correcting 7D Camera Mic Audio

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Brownstein
Correcting 7D Camera Mic Audio
on Feb 17, 2011 at 8:29:04 pm

I just finished shooting a documentary and we had a malfunction with our H4N/Boom setup so I'm going to need to use some of the camera mic audio from the 7D.

It actually turned out really well; you only hear negative things about it but it's actually an exceptional little mic they have in there. Only problem is everything has a really sharp, crispness to it. If I could soften that up just a little bit and remove some background sound, I think this could work.

So has anybody done this? And if so, what kinds of adjustments/tools did you use? Or does anybody know of any resources out there for this specific sort of adjustment?

Thanks!!!

Return to posts index

Brian DeViteri
Re: Correcting 7D Camera Mic Audio
on Feb 17, 2011 at 10:21:28 pm

You should start with ProTools - there is a plugin called X-NOISE that is pretty much phenomenal for eliminating some BG noise. In all honesty, if it's terrible BG noise and it's mixing with the frequencies that your "needed" audio is in (assuming vocal) then you'll be disappointed with the results.

Other tools to consider: Adobe Audition or Adobe Soundbooth. The "heat map" view for EQ is great for eliminating individual frequencies, but I personally find it slightly difficult to do a gradual smoothing sometimes.

For softening, you're going to have to mix with it and test. It all really depends on the actual recorded audio - no two clips are ever the same it seems...

Return to posts index

Bill Brownstein
Re: Correcting 7D Camera Mic Audio
on Feb 17, 2011 at 10:31:46 pm

I'll give 'em a try!

Ha, was kinda hoping somebody at some point needed to do the same and had a workflow/presets that I could just copy. What's wrong with these tracks is exactly the same across them all; I need to dampen the effects of the mic itself.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]