FORUMS: list search recent posts

7D to FCP Ingest Workflow Issue

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
George Notaras
7D to FCP Ingest Workflow Issue
on Jan 5, 2011 at 2:48:00 am

Hello:

I am relatively new to the 7D and T2i world and have run into some troubles with the Canon Plug In and FCP Log and Transfer.

In short: I have followed the instructions to the letter and FCP does allow me to Log and Transfer the 7D or T2i Clips. I have even tried the MPEG Stream Clip solution and nothing.

Basically, I can 'import' the files and work with them but I cannot Log and Transfer to my capture scratch thus not collecting all the converted footage (as I do with my EX1) in one folder within the project.

The only thing I can think of is that we are copying the ALL the footage (7D, T2i and EX1) onto hard drives as soon as we come in from the field. Even though we are copying over all files - including the 'THM' files, would this affect the directory?

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Sony EX1
Canon Rebel T2i
Canon 7D (Sometimes)
Final Cut 6.0.6

Return to posts index

Anthony Bari Jr.
Re: 7D to FCP Ingest Workflow Issue
on Jan 5, 2011 at 2:59:20 pm

Make sure that the DCIM folder is included, not just the MVI and THM files. If you stripped that already,
try to make a DCIM folder then place all files intact in that folder.

Moving forward when you offload your cards to Harddrives make a new folder>name it(example:010111_Cam_A_card1)>copy all or just the DCIM folder>Paste to folder on Hard Drive

This will be recognized as a card only if the DCIM folder is intact. Not just the files.

Hope that helps.

*Production*Post-Production*
Apple Certified Instructor (Final Cut Pro 7)
"Semper Fi USMC"

Return to posts index

George Notaras
on Jan 14, 2011 at 9:58:54 pm

Hello Anthony:

First off: Thank you VERY much. Your suggestions both worked.

1.) Just got back from an out of town shoot and was able to bring over ALL files from the card and it worked like a charm in FCP.

2.) I was also able to rebuild the DCIM as you suggested on some older footage where the data from the card is lost. That too was able to work in the L&T work flow.

That said, is there a way for the footage from my T2i to play nice with FCP in the same way as the 5D?

Thanks again!

George

Sony EX1
Canon Rebel T2i
Canon 7D (Sometimes)
Final Cut 6.0.6

Return to posts index

Anthony Bari Jr.
on Jan 17, 2011 at 1:19:20 am

I havent used the T2i, I am sure it uses the same file structure. DCIM folder>.mov's/.thm's

If so, should be good to go.

*Production*Post-Production*
Apple Certified Instructor (Final Cut Pro 7)
"Semper Fi USMC"

Return to posts index

Brian DeViteri
on Jan 25, 2011 at 3:23:13 pm

download the latest EOS MOVIE Plugin-E1 for Final Cut Pro Ver1.1 (ce1110x.dmg) 12/01/2010, 7.01MB

Available here, select Mac OS from dropdown:
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_7d#...

I believe you will still need to modify the E1 plugin settings to play nice with the T2i.

Go to:
Library/Application Support/ProApps/MIO/RAD/Plugins/CanonE1.RADPLug/Contents/Resources/

Open up the file in text edit:
cameras.plist

DUPLICATE THIS FILE BEFORE MODIFYING!

You'll need to add entries for the T2i/550D. Here's what mine currently looks like (the code pasted into this message was completely messed up).

1544_picture2.png.zip

Return to posts index

George Notaras
on Jan 26, 2011 at 6:13:40 pm

Hello Brian:

Thanks for the insight. Worked like a charm. The converting process does take significantly longer than with EX1 footage but does work.

Any chance you would know how to bring in footage from a GoPro HD through the Log & Transfer workflow?

Thanks in advance,

George

Sony EX1
Canon Rebel T2i
Canon 7D (Sometimes)
Final Cut 6.0.6

Return to posts index

Brian DeViteri
on Feb 18, 2011 at 1:38:50 am

They don't offer a plugin as far as I know, so there's not really a "starting point" to begin with. Unless you want to rename them all and trick FCP into thinking they're Canon files? That may work, not sure what format the GoPro videos are in, or if they're close enough to match though...

I'd stick with conversion outside of FCP, unless there's a better proven workflow for the GoPro videos.

http://gopro.com/support/final-cut-pro-tips/

Return to posts index

George Notaras
on Feb 18, 2011 at 5:02:05 am

Hey Brian:

Thanks for the insight.

They are actually the same H.264 format at the Canon but you probably make a good point about just sticking with converting with MPEG Streamclip outside of FCP. So far, seems to work.

Thanks again,

George

Sony EX1
Canon Rebel T2i
Canon 7D (Sometimes)
Final Cut 6.0.6

Return to posts index

brian smallwood
on Mar 2, 2011 at 7:38:19 pm

I follow these steps on my Powerbook and there is no cameras.plist. In fact there is nothing named ProApps.

When I try to re-install the E1 plugin. it says it is already installed

Is something different here?

Return to posts index

brian smallwood
on Mar 2, 2011 at 7:44:12 pm

MAC OSX 10.6.6

Return to posts index

George Notaras
on Mar 3, 2011 at 10:29:16 am

Hi Brian:

If it is saying it is installed - it should be there. Check your FCP and see if it is in the list of Plug Ins when you goto Log & Transfer.

It does take some doing to set it up but works like a charm once you do!

George

Sony EX1
Canon Rebel T2i
Canon 7D (Sometimes)
Final Cut 6.0.6

Return to posts index

brian smallwood
on Mar 3, 2011 at 6:47:22 pm

Here are a couple extra bits of info:

I have footage on both of my edit machines from 5D and 7D shoots.

Final cut sees them and has no trouble importing them with Log and Transfer.

the Canon plug in is visible in L&T prefs pulldown.

Final cut does not see the T2i footage, (though I am able to use compressor on these files externally)

again: that path to the prefs as detailed earlier, does not exist on my machines. is that due to OSX 10.6.6? and doing a search of entire machines does not find canon file names.

Thx,
Brian

Return to posts index

George Notaras
on Mar 7, 2011 at 2:37:04 am

Hi Brian:

If you look a bit farther up this thread, you will see the instructions I followed to get the T2i to work with the plug in. This is the text courtesy of Brian DeViteri:

by Brian DeViteri on Jan 25, 2011 at 7:23:13 am

download the latest EOS MOVIE Plugin-E1 for Final Cut Pro Ver1.1 (ce1110x.dmg) 12/01/2010, 7.01MB

Available here, select Mac OS from dropdown:
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_7d#.....

I believe you will still need to modify the E1 plugin settings to play nice with the T2i.

Go to:
Library/Application Support/ProApps/MIO/RAD/Plugins/CanonE1.RADPLug/Contents/Resources/

Open up the file in text edit:
cameras.plist

DUPLICATE THIS FILE BEFORE MODIFYING!

You'll need to add entries for the T2i/550D. Here's what mine currently looks like (the code pasted into this message was completely messed up).

1544_picture2.png.zip

Sony EX1
Canon Rebel T2i
Canon 7D (Sometimes)
Final Cut 6.0.6

Return to posts index

brian smallwood
on Mar 7, 2011 at 9:36:17 pm

thanks again, It showed up after a few days. I think it needed to be restarted more than once. go figure.
Brian

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]