FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon EOS 60D skipping frames

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sebastian Alvarez
Canon EOS 60D skipping frames
on May 20, 2012 at 5:46:16 pm

I tried to search for this but all I got are stories of people that can't play their footage smoothly in their computers and it skips frames constantly. That's not the problem I have.

The first card I put in the 60D was a Patriot LXPro 32 GB Class 10, which I had bought because I saw it several months ago in some benchmark as one of the fastest cards available at that time. It worked without problems in my video cameras, but when I tried to record video with the 60D, it filled the buffer right away and stopped, even after I had formatted it at low level. So for those on the market for cards, do not buy Patriot because they're junk.

But regardless of that, after pressing the record button each time after the stop error, sometimes it would keep recording. However, when I saw the footage on Edius, every now and then I would see that it skipped a couple of frames, but I attributed that to the cheap card, since there's no NLE faster than Edius and I have a very fast computer.

So while I wait for a faster card, I started using an old AData Class 6 16 GB card that gave me absolutely no buffer errors. But the skipped frames problem continued, and this time I was able to see it on the 60D screen while recording, so I have to assume it's a problem with the camera rather than the card, because even if the AData is also a cheap card, what I'm seeing on the camera's screen while I'm recording is not the video being played back from the card, but the raw footage from the camera itself.

Later I imported the footage into Edius, and I saw the problem advancing frame by frame on the timeline. It's actually three frames that it skips, simply showing four identical frames, the first of which is new and three that look like the first one before moving to a new frame, and obviously this causes a very visible jump. I opened the footage in Premiere and in Vegas and it was exactly the same.

So my question is, did I get a bad unit, or is this a design problem with this camera? I hope it's a not a design problem, because no matter how great the picture quality is, if it's going to skip frames every now and then, it's not a camera I want to keep.

Sebastian R. Alvarez

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]