FORUMS: list search recent posts

24fps vs 25fps?

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick Murphy
24fps vs 25fps?
on May 15, 2012 at 7:56:11 pm

Hi guys,

I have been filming on my Canon 7D and some of the panning shots come out jerky. I am not sure why as i was using a fluid head and know it was smooth at the time.

Is this a frame rate issue? Should i be filming at 24 or 25fps PAL? I have used 25fps up till now.

The videos are for clients that want them posted to the internet so mainly vimeo and YouTube.

Thank you in advance for your help

Paddy

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
Re: 24fps vs 25fps?
on May 15, 2012 at 10:07:48 pm

[Patrick Murphy] "Is this a frame rate issue? Should i be filming at 24 or 25fps PAL? I have used 25fps up till now."

There shouldn't be much difference in "jerkyness" between 24 and 25 fps.
Fast pans (or fast camera movement in general) is always a problem with those "slow" framerates.
Fast shutterspeeds intensify the stuttering.
What shutterspeed were you recording with? A rule of thumb is "shutterspeed = 2 x framerate", so when shooting 24 or 25 fps use a shutterspeed of about 50 and you'll get most of the time enough motionblur to get a smooth motion.... at least when your pans aren't too fast.

------------------------------------------
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot." - Buster Keaton

Me on Twitter (english/german)
http://twitter.com/FastFoodVideo

My german blog
http://fastfoodvideo.de

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on May 15, 2012 at 11:28:52 pm

Yeah, Peter you are right, slow panning is OK but fast not a goer unless you use the New Canon f2.8 EF IS is designed and can be set for both horizontal and vertical panning @ $2,250, just not worth it.

Hi Patrick, 24fps is the 35mm movie speed as you know and really the quality for Vimeo and You tube at any speed is not that impressive, the jerkiness may be caused by the shutter speed in the 7D or the slowness of the pixels caused by the H.264 mov 1920 x 1080p compression .The lens in this camera may be the cause of the issue, not as good as EF IS 35mm

I have experimented with all speeds and have found 1/50 sec, like Peter may be tad better.

Very smooth panning is the only way to go, I do not get jerkiness any more. I use a Canon EF 28-135 mm IS Lens hand held without any support and it is perfect, in any case you can remove any issue in Premiere Pro CS6 or 5.5.2 with Germany's ProDad's Mercalli V2 Pro Stabilizer that is pure magic. It has a "rolling Shutter Compensation" Control which illiminates the jerkiness or jello effect of the shutter in these cameras.

Happy panning...............

Freelance Imaging & Video
AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on May 16, 2012 at 12:31:21 am

Well, I should have said Canon f2.8 L EF IS 70-200mm Lens, great for horizontal fast panning ans zoom work if you need that ????????

AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on May 16, 2012 at 9:17:29 am

As Bob mentioned stabilized lenses, another thing came to my mind: When on a tripoda and using a stabilized lens, you could experiment with turning the stabilizer off. The lens doesn't know which movement is wanted and so tries to "stabilize" pan which in some cases leads to jerky movement.

Edit: I can recommend Mercalli Pro as well! Great application, but - as Bob wrote - German interface, but I'd guess it's not too hard to understand.

------------------------------------------
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot." - Buster Keaton

Me on Twitter (english/german)
http://twitter.com/FastFoodVideo

My german blog
http://fastfoodvideo.de

Return to posts index

Patrick Murphy
on Jul 2, 2012 at 11:43:35 am

Hi Bob, Peter,

I am so sorry that i was out of the loop, have had a manic week.

So appreciate the advice, i will def have a look at that plug in.

No only was i filming at about 1/150 shutter but I did have the stabiliser on as well, which when thinking about it would make sense that the lens would try and correct the pan...

Thanks again guys, i really appreciate the advise and apologies for dropping out of the thread!

Paddy

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on Jul 4, 2012 at 11:52:45 pm

Paddy,

You are forgiven, we all get tired.

Bob

AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

Patrick Murphy