FORUMS: list search recent posts

Streaming live event with 600D

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tiago Ribeiro
Streaming live event with 600D
on Apr 26, 2012 at 12:40:44 am

I would like to ask for considerations on doing a live stream of an event using a 600D.
Because the 600D does not work as a webcam, I found some free capture software that can help me out, namely CamTwist (OSX), or ManyCam (OSX/windows).
This way, the setup I found for making this possible is:

1) Connect the camera to the computer via USB cable;
2) Run the EOSUtility remote shooting application;
3) Activate the LiveView shoot window (a good idea is to drag it to external monitor and keep it there);
4) Use the capture software to capture the live view portion of the screen into a virtual webcam;
5) Use the free Sunflower software to create a virtual audio interface;
5) Run the free LineIn software to route the microphone/line-input to the Sunflower device. The line-input receives a mix from the sound mixing console;
5) Stream both the capture device (video) and the sunflower device (audio) to a public FMS server using Flash Media Live Encoder;

My major questions are:

a) Will this camera handle feeding the screen during several hours?

b) Will it over-heat, or cause any problems to the camera?

c) If it over-heats, the camera will just shut down, right?

d) I guess this might get audio and video out of sync. any idea on where I can add a AUSampleDelay audio unit to the chain? (using OSX)

e) Is there any way to mess around with the live view video settings on the EOSUtility application? What I mean is to change the resolution and frame rate of the video we get on the computer screen.

f) Any other info you might share from previous experience or that you feel is useful for this?

Thank you for your help!

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
Re: Streaming live event with 600D
on Apr 26, 2012 at 6:25:06 pm

[Tiago Ribeiro] "a) Will this camera handle feeding the screen during several hours?

Not likely. The camera is designed for short (10-15 min) shoots. I've had loads of problems with these cameras and long continuous shooting.

b) Will it over-heat, or cause any problems to the camera?

Yep. The CMOS isn't really made for that kind of use. Expect an overheat relatively quickly. You're better off renting a regular video camera that is designed for long shoots.

c) If it over-heats, the camera will just shut down, right?

Usually, you start getting a lot of gain even at low ISO a bit before it turns off. Downtime depends on temperature, but have a small fan nearby to cool it off. I live in the desert so I have to sequester myself in a car with air conditioning and blow it on the camera body to get it cool. That's during the summer, though. Typically, it can take 5-15 minutes.

d) I guess this might get audio and video out of sync. any idea on where I can add a AUSampleDelay audio unit to the chain? (using OSX)

May want to simply record the footage and then use something like PluralEyes to resync the audio and footage later. If you can isolate the feed's audio and then resync that way, it should work.

e) Is there any way to mess around with the live view video settings on the EOSUtility application? What I mean is to change the resolution and frame rate of the video we get on the computer screen.

Not that I've seen. I'd be interested to see what you come up with. I don't think you have any control over what comes out the HDMI output. Also, the feed is still an SD feed when shooting live, but it's HD on playback.

f) Any other info you might share from previous experience or that you feel is useful for this?"

Honestly, I hate using DSLRs for events. I'd rather use a consumer camcorder. You'd be better off renting a regular camera for the event and using the DSLR for cutaways and b-roll. You said live event though, so not likely. I would try several tests before the day of the event. That will give you the best information. If it won't work during a test, it won't work during the event.

Incidentally, I was just asked to shoot an EV Drag Race. They didn't have a budget so I had to use a DSLR (550D/T2i). I was quickly reminded as to why I despise shooting events with a DSLR - setups aren't as easy as a regular video camera, the large sensor makes for a narrow depth of field so you are constantly monitoring focus on that tiny little LCD screen, you can never get wide enough due to the sensor crop, short shooting times make long shooting tough, etc. Look up Magic Lantern - not sure if it works on the 600D/T3i, but it can "add" features to the camera.

Jonathan Ziegler
http://www.electrictiger.com/
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Tiago Ribeiro
on Jun 14, 2012 at 8:48:04 am

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for your info!
Actually I think you got my idea wrong.
I wasn't worried about filming for several hours.
I was feeding the live event to an online stream over the internet.
So I wasn't worried for example about HD, because my trick (capturing the EOSUtility LiveView screen) already gave me a low res. Also, my computer wouldn't handle the capture and encoding of 1080p in realtime, if I could event get that feed from the camera to the computer =)

So summing up, things didn't go that great, because I was too tight on time to do some reasonable tests (I actually did the event right after my post, but only now I'm replying..)

However, I did find out that my setting works!
It just has to be tuned, and there are several things to watch out for.

So I remind that the camera WASN'T RECORDING, but only feeding a live view to EOS utility.

The thing that mostly destroyed my stream was something that I only realized later, after doing some tests.
My EOSLive feed would crash after several minutes of streaming, and I thought it was the camera failing.
However, I tested later, and I was able to have the live view feed on for several hours with no problem..
What I found out was that on the event I used an USB extention cord that was not USB 2.0 compliant! And that was what regularly crashed my feed.
So if you want to do a live stream using a DSLR, make sure you have a good USB cable connecting the camera to the computer.

The second thind that didn't go that OK was that I streamed out 3 streams from Flash Media Server: one high quality, one mid quality, and one low quality.
Wrong, if you're streaming with a 13'' MBP, it's no super computer.
Because it didn't handle all that realtime encoding, my resulting feed was skipping, like if you were watching an underbuffered stream.

I also only realized that later, after watching the recorded stream, and doing some performance tests on FMS.

But overall, as long as you
a) Have a good USB 2.0 extension!
b) Don't need an HD stream, but only get that live stream out to the world
c) Are able to get a decent settings on the stream compression on your computer

Then you will be able to stream out a live event using a 600D and a laptop.
You may eventually encounter one or another crash, but it's manageable.

For software I recommend CamTwist (free).
With it you can select the portion of the EOS Utility Live View window, and use it as a video input device.
It also lets you switch for example to a playlist of videos (promos/sponsors, etc) during breaks, and can also let you overlay text on the screen.
It's actually a pretty useful tool.

For getting the sound in from the sound mixing LineIn+Sunflower works pretty good.

So summing, it's not a pro solution, but as a free one (as long as you already own a camera), it's enough!

Return to posts index

Ran Xie
on Oct 17, 2012 at 8:21:11 pm

Hey, I have a question...

When I am livestreaming, the Focus square pops up and continues throughout the video.
Apart from having the camera record simultaneously, is there a way to remove the focus square?
Having the camera recording simultaneously lags the video a bit...

Return to posts index

Tiago Ribeiro
on Oct 17, 2012 at 11:26:36 pm

Have you tried i with Magic Lantern (ML)?
For some reason I can't get EOS Utility to run right now with a ML-enabled card, so I couldn't test it.
Recently I upgraded both the firmware on my t3i, the MagicLantern firmware, and my OSX to Mountain Lion, so I'm not sure which one made this fail :)

But with ML you can clear the whole screen, including the focus rectangle. I'm just not sure if you still get it projected while pairing ML with EOS Utility.

If you try it, please let me know how it went!
Cheers

Ps.: Now that I'm actually thinking about it, I don't recall having that problem when I did my live stream. Not sure if I had installed ML by then. But try some stuff around the live preview window in EOS Util.
Also, try things like setting the lens to manual focus and things like that.
I'm pretty sure I eventually got rid of that rectangle.

Pps.: Looks like EOS Utility actually still does not support Mountain Lion, so I can't event test this with a card without ML.

Return to posts index

Tiago Ribeiro
on Oct 18, 2012 at 2:48:24 pm

Ran: check this out.

http://www.vfxwizard.com/grimoire/dslr-canon-hdmi-capture-and-focusing-rect...

I knew it had something to do with the focusing mode (I wasn't sure if it was about auto/manual or something else).

"Set the focusing mode to face detection! In face detection mode, the rectangle does not appear and you can capture an image that's even cleaner than the one output by the 7D."

This guide is for the 7D because its date is prior to T3i's launch.
However, I think that in T3i you can follow the same trick to get the focus rectangle out of the way :)
Try changing the autofocus modes to confirm it.

Return to posts index

Jason Kelleher
on Mar 5, 2013 at 5:21:55 pm

There is an app called SparkoCam that can transform your camera into a webcam by creating in the system virtual device and streaming live view feed from canon eos camera as a webcam video, so you'll be able to use it just like regular webcam.

Return to posts index

stefano valentino
on Dec 13, 2015 at 2:56:33 pm

Hi to all,
I have a mind puzzle that is somehow connected to this thread. I want to broadcast live stream video from my Canon 70D using my latptop.
I have read around that a hdmi-sdi converter is required. Now, I have found this converter: http://www.amazon.com/Excelvan-MINI-HDMI-Converter-Theater/dp/B00ID4BVD0/re...
It is much cheaper than black magic mini-converters. The big problem is that it does not have a usb port to plug it into my laptop. So I cannot really use it, unless you can link me to online stores selling "sdi to usb" cables. So, I have thought about the following alternative ways:
1) This hdmi-sdi converter has a mini-usb power port: http://www.amazon.it/dp/B00DHKCZ26/ref=asc_df_B00DHKCZ2630646726?smid=A11IL...
I am wandering if I could use the usb port to convey the sdi signal to my laptop.
2) I have found this hdmi-vga converter that I could use it to connect my camera directly to my laptop: http://www.amazon.it/dp/B017VYYQ34/ref=asc_df_B017VYYQ3430545034?smid=AQYHP...
I am wandering if a hdmi-vga conversion would do as much as a hdmi-sdi conversion.
I would be grateful if anyone could kindly tell me if any of the two alternatives I mentioned above would make the live stream work or help me to find other inexpensive solutions.
Cheers
Stefano

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]