FORUMS: list search recent posts

A question about a 60d's jittery pans

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Jones
A question about a 60d's jittery pans
on Apr 11, 2012 at 6:48:25 pm

I've read a lot of user feedback about this with fingers pointing every-which-where as to what's to blame...
I've tried a variety of programs and settings with very similar results, so please chime in with advice!

When I pan on my 60d the footage has 'lags'... or jumps in the footage.

Here's a sample of what I'm talking about.

At first blush, it looks like a processing issue to me...

I'm using a 16Gb Sandisk EXTREME Class 10 card...
A Manfrotto 501HDV head... a Canon 50mm 1.4 lens...
Encoded with Adobe Premier Pro CS5...

Static shots do not exhibit this behavior... I realize you have to pan slowly due to the CMOS sensor, but I've seen footage with much quicker pans than mine are and they are free of this glitchy-ness...

So, thoughts?

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
Re: A question about a 60d's jittery pans
on Apr 12, 2012 at 6:46:50 pm

Looks like an issue with the camera or the codec. What are the exact settings for: ISO, frame rate and size, shutter, aperture, and anything else on the camera. Next, exactly what steps did you take to process the footage from camera to computer to edit to final version? Did you transcode the footage to a different format? If so, what were the settings? Need all of that info to even start to troubleshoot.

Jonathan Ziegler
http://www.electrictiger.com/
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Matthew Jones
on Apr 12, 2012 at 8:11:37 pm

ISO 320, 60fps (shutter)
1080p 30fps
1.4 f aperture

Highlight tone priority off, auto lighting optimizer off, peripheral illumination correction off...
fluorescent white balance...
Neutral color profile...

Card out of the camera, into my sd slot, onto my scratch drive, into the timeline of premier pro and then exported using the settings for codec h.264 'youtube widescreen HD'.

Straight off the camera these files are jumpy... so I don't know that it's an issue of exporting...
I've tried playback in both Quicktime and VLC with the same results.

Thanks for the assist!

Return to posts index

Matthew Jones
on Apr 12, 2012 at 8:48:59 pm

of course more premier pro settings...

dslr 1080p 29.97@30fps sequence settings
and then exported using h.264 'youtube widescreen HD'

does the same thing when I export matching sequence settings too.

using 'render at max depth' in all scenarios.

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Apr 13, 2012 at 11:10:53 pm

Hmmm. Okay, does the footage play okay in Premier? If so, it's likely the h.264 conversion - try exporting as a more neutral format like ProRes422 on mac or Cineform for PC or another less compressed format if you like. If the footage is choppy in Premiere, it could be Premier, the codec, the camera, etc., but that sounds like a reach.

How does or did the footage play back on the camera itself? Also, you may see some of that if you have an image stabilizing lens, but I'm not sure if that's the issue here.

Jonathan Ziegler
http://www.electrictiger.com/
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Matthew Jones
on Apr 14, 2012 at 3:03:17 am

It's choppy in Premier too... and is worse when previewed in Adobe Bridge.
Which is crazy because I'm running top of the line MAC hardware here.

When I let premier pro auto-select sequence settings it goes for AVCHD 29.97fps instead of the DSLR presets... output files are looking good with some of the different export options...

It looks splendid in the camera's playback. No IS on the lens... it's a prime 50mm 1.4

Hang on... I just noticed this doesn't happen on my Apple MacBook Pro... it happens only on my imac.
I'll try reinstalling Premier on that machine... is there anything else I should also be looking for?

My iMac far out-specs my laptop...
iMAC-
3.4Ghz quad core i7
16Gb RAM
2Gb VRAM
(solid state boot drive)

Laptop-
2.2Ghz quad core i7
8Gb RAM
1Gb VRAM
(7200rpm SATA drive)

in theory, both machines should be capable of playing back multiple threads of just about anything out there. Although I've heard some reports about poor video playback in Lion, which is what they are both running...

Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]