FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon Mark III / FCP7 Workflow

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Doyle
Canon Mark III / FCP7 Workflow
on Mar 31, 2012 at 3:15:15 pm

Hi All. I have a client who will be delivering some MK III footage to me next week. I'm tentatively planning on using the same workflow for this footage as I do for other Canon DSLR footage (transcode using MPEG Streamclip / add reel name & TC using QTChange / Import into FCP7). Here's the thing, though: I'd like to preserve the timecode that will be on the camera originals. Is there anyway to do this without working with the native h264 files? I thought about using QT Pro to extract the TC track from the h264 files, then add back to the transcoded files, but the doing that to numerous (perhaps hundreds) of clips will take far too long (no budget for an assistant editor, unfortunately).

I also considered bringing the footage into FCP using the Canon's E-1 plug-in for Log & Transfer, but it seems as though Log & Transfer doesn't recognize MKIII footage. I'm using v1.2 of the plug-in, and it didn't recognize the test footage the client sent.

So, any thoughts about how to preserve the original timecode?

Return to posts index

Jun Stinson
Re: Canon Mark III / FCP7 Workflow
on Apr 1, 2012 at 5:46:15 pm

I'm having the problem. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Michael Cerdeiros
on May 1, 2012 at 5:30:31 am

Hi,

I currently use Magic Bullet grinder to convert my footage vs using compressor. I have a 7D. I know that as long as you still have the "thm" files or equivalent for MKIII then you can preserve the timecode and convert to prores.

Here is a link: http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/products/all/magic-bullet-grinder/

I hope this helps!

Michael Cerdeiros
OMNIVISION Multimedia inc.

Return to posts index

Jason Doyle
on May 1, 2012 at 1:21:13 pm

Thanks for the advice, Michael. The MarkIII doesn't create .thm files or an equivalent, which was part of the problem. Anyway, for various reasons, we ended up cutting with Avid, not FCP7. We imported the files into the Avid as AMA, then transcoded to DNxHD. That preserves the timecode that was on the camera quicktimes.

Thanks again.

Jay

Return to posts index

Panji Laksmana
on May 7, 2012 at 4:35:35 pm

Canon just release the EOS Movie Plugin-E1 for FCP 7, so you can log and transfer Mark III files with original time code... it would be nice if Grinder have Mark III updated version

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]