FORUMS: list search recent posts

field monitor on canon T3i

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Trevor Ward
field monitor on canon T3i
on Mar 20, 2012 at 2:01:02 pm

I'm looking for a slightly less than mid-range monitor for my T3i. I don't want to buy an expensive model, but I'm not looking for super cheap. My budget is probably between $600-1200. What are people using these days?

- Trevor Ward

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
Re: field monitor on canon T3i
on Mar 21, 2012 at 3:39:13 pm

Trevor, I just bought a Marshall 5" and for a DSLR it is a nice fit. I traded in a 9" monitor for it. I like the design of the Marshall, but SmallHD is also selling some nice monitors these days, and have about the same feature set as the marshals. Just be sure to get the third party battery add ons, as having rechargeable larger batteries is a must on these. Standard Sony, Canon, Panny or A.B. batteries that work with your workflow are great.

Al

Return to posts index

Vic Noseworthy
on Mar 24, 2012 at 2:31:19 am

Hi Al,
I'm also looking for a monitor for my new T3i. I've scoured the web, and it seems that, because the HDMI output is only 480 resolution, it's hard to find a good monitor. Complicating the issue is the fact that, when you press the record button, the image gets "squished". I've noticed this happens when I run HDMI out to my 24" Samsung monitor, but this monitor has adjustments allowing me to correct the picture.
I've been looking at the Marshall monitors, as they seem to be of nice quality. Can I inquire which specific model you are using with your T3i, and whether or not you have any "squish" problems when you press the record button?
Thanks so much for sharing your expertise.
Vic

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Mar 24, 2012 at 5:39:18 pm

Vic, the monitor I have is the following (the SKU might be the B&H number).
Marshall Electronics MAVLCD50HDMI 5" On-Camera Monitor

It does not *squish* the screen when I start to shoot. It shows what the screen is showing. It might be clipping some small part of the edges, but I am only using it for some focusing, and general framing. I actually prefer and usually use the Zacuto non electric viewfinder, which is fabulous for allowing focus, but having the Marshall allows me to be a bit less aggressive with the setup (meaning not so heads down in the camera while I'm trying to monitor sound levels, etc.

I've had a larger monitor, and this one is a nice size, fits well when I'm on rails or just on a tripod without rails. My Lebec tripod has a nice little fitting that allows me to mount an arm out on the side. I noticed that Manfrotto finally are including that in their lower end models as well.

I think this Marshall is a nicely engineered small monitor. If you are doing lots of studio work with clients who need to watch and critique, you might want to spend more on a larger monitor. But for one person, this is a good fit.

Al

Return to posts index

Vic Noseworthy
on Mar 24, 2012 at 6:34:19 pm

Thanks for your input, Al. You say it doesn't squish the image? I've noticed that, on B&H's "reviews" page of the monitor that many of the reviewers complain of the image being reduced. You haven't found that at all? Are you using this monitor with the T3i specifically?
Here is the link to B&H's review page:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=getItemDetail&Q=...

Specifically, the fifth reviewer on the page talks about the HDMI Auto scale issue. Numerous other reviewers (there are 62 reviewers in total) have said the same thing. Though, to be honest, there were also a few who said the down-scaling was not a huge issue.

But, one commenter quoted Marshall in saying that you lose 30% of the image size. That's quite significant, given the monitor is only 5.6 inches. That means the image on the monitor during recording would be, like, 3.9 inches. That's hardly bigger than the existing 3-inch LCD screen on the camera. It hardly seems worth the expense for such a marginally bigger image with which to adjust focus while recording.

How do you find this monitor for adjusting focus while the record button is pressed?

Thanks again! And, I don't mean to question your previous response... it's just that so many others have voiced discontent about the reduced image size when the record button is pressed.

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Mar 24, 2012 at 10:08:53 pm

Vic, first off, no, I'm sorry, I used the 7D, which *should* be the same as my old T2i, since the guts are the same camera, but the external case is much better. I would *assume* it should work the same. Maybe someone on this board has experience with the T3i. On my 7D it does *not* give me full screen (there are black bars on right and left) but it does show what is in the viewfinder. There are various functions for "full Screen" 16:9 and 4:3 (SD).

I read through the reviews, and some are somewhat off base. However, the issue of "squish" might be referring to the fact that there are black bars on each side. I don't see any *squishing* of the image though. It's full screen on the 7D. I think that some of the negative reviews were from people who hadn't read the manual. And the monitors might have been setup wrong.

As to battery life, my experience is that these little monitors do you up batteries somewhat quicker than you would hope. However, there is the option for not only he standard AA lithiums and other higher mA batteries and I bought the extra battery plate to allow for larger rechargeables, like Sony, Canon and Panasonic, which I assume are needed for long days in the field.

All in all, the monitor does show me what the 7D is seeing, and helps me focus and compose. It's flexible, has great color, and is small and lightweight. Works for me. Since you can return these things, you might buy it, give it a week and return it if it doesn't do the job. For the price, I don't think there is a better monitor. For more money, your choices expand a lot.

Good luck.

Al

Return to posts index

Kyna Bigornia
on Feb 9, 2017 at 12:15:32 am

Hi Vic,

I ran across your post. I am looking for a field monitor for my T3i... Did you find any good one?

Kyna

Return to posts index

Cody Walters
on Feb 11, 2017 at 12:10:02 am

I highly recommend the SmallHD 501. In my opinion, it shows the best image and the tools you have are the best. Waveform, False Color, Peaking, LUTS.

Cody Walters
Director of Photography, Producer
https://www.linkedin.com/in/codywalters/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]