FORUMS: list search recent posts

Timelapse problem with Canon 60D

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Nosaty
Timelapse problem with Canon 60D
on Mar 4, 2012 at 12:02:29 am

I'm having a problem with my 60D and a Vello ShutterBoss intervalometer. When I set it to 1 second interval it will shoot 4 frames at 1 second intervals and then pause 2 seconds and then repeats. When I use my Kessler camera control unit the results are even more erratic. All intervals above 1 second are fine.

When I use my 5D mkII with the Canon intervalometer or the Kessler the results are fine.

So my question is does anyone else have issues with 1 second intervals on the 60D? is it the camera or the Vello and Kessler intervalometers that cause the problem. I don't have a Canon intervalometer for the 60D to test so it's difficult to isolate the problem.

cheers,
Greg Nosaty

http://www.cinemontage.ca/blog

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
Re: Timelapse problem with Canon 60D
on Mar 5, 2012 at 12:49:28 am

[Greg Nosaty] " 60D and a Vello ShutterBoss intervalometer. "

I had some problems early on with that combination. I can't recall for sure but I think the problems went away when I reduced the processing load on the 60D. That could have been by turning off the image review &/or choosing a smaller image size &/or recording only .jpg, not RAW+.jpg.

Sorry I can't be more specific but I do know that the combination will work. Good luck.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Greg Nosaty
on Mar 5, 2012 at 2:10:03 am

Thanks Bob. I have turned of preview and I'm shooting large JPEG instead of Raw. Plus I've turned of anything else I could find in the menu that may bog down the processor.

What make of intervalometer do you use?

I'm going to find a Canon model to see if there might be some issue with my Vello. Because like I said the Canon works fine on my 5DmkII.

cheers,
Greg Nosaty

http://www.cinemontage.ca

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Mar 5, 2012 at 1:16:13 pm

[Greg Nosaty] "What make of intervalometer do you use?"

Vello ShutterBoss, terminated by a sub-mini plug. Is the same model of ShutterBoss meant to work with both the 60D and the 5D Mark II?

I just made three quick tests: I set the VelloBoss to run a series of 10 exposures at 1-second intervals on my 60D, with various settings. The bottom line is that shooting RAW+, or using Image Review, seemed to result in problems.

Camera for Tests 1 and 2 was set to Manual exposure, lens was set to AutoFocus. Image Review was set to 2 seconds.
1. When I shot RAW+large JPEG, I got 9 exposures.
2. When I turned off RAW and shot only large JPEG, I got all ten.
3. I turned off Image Review, set the lens to manual focus, shot RAW+large JPEG, and got all ten exposures. BUT - I noticed that when I turned the camera off, about 15 seconds after the series was shot, the camera took perhaps 30 seconds to record the images it had just taken. So if you shoot RAW+, a longer series than just ten images might not work.

fwiw, I use JPEG only, and tend to use smaller JPEG settings, when shooting timelapse, although I realize that a large image is useful for zooming and reframing.

Return to posts index

Greg Nosaty
on Mar 5, 2012 at 4:28:51 pm

Thanks for doing the tests. In my shots it begins to act up on the 4th frame and remains consistent for as long as I shot: 4 frames, 1 second pause, 4 frames, 1 second pause. I will try using a smaller JPEG to see if that works.

The 5D uses the same intervelometer but it has a different connector than the one used for the 7D, 60D and T3i. The 5D uses a 3 pin connector all the others i mentioned use the sub-mini connector.

cheers,
Greg Nosaty

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Mar 5, 2012 at 7:26:28 pm

[Greg Nosaty] "The 5D uses the same intervelometer but it has a different connector than the one used for the 7D, 60D and T3i. "

That's what I was wondering; how can you use the same intervalometer on the 5D and the 60D, or am I reading you wrong?

Return to posts index

Greg Nosaty
on Mar 5, 2012 at 8:14:21 pm

The physical device is the same but they are sold separately with different connector. There is no way to use an adaptor. I have a Vello for my 60D and a Canon for my 5D.

cheers,
Greg Nosaty

Return to posts index

Bill Willins
on Mar 6, 2012 at 2:44:49 am

Greg, I am using the exact same setup , canon 60D & Vello unit. I haven,t used it very much yet, but the first few tests went well. But when I was researching techniques online, I came across quite a few people who also said you should only shoot these time lapses in JPEG. BW

Return to posts index

Greg Nosaty
on Mar 6, 2012 at 3:09:15 am

Hey Bill. I am shooting JPEG on the 60D. I have been using large JPEG to give me the option to pan & scan in post. I will now have to try and reduce the JPEG size to see if it eliminates the problem.

However my 5D has no issues shooting raw from 1 second and beyond.

cheers,
Greg Nosaty

Return to posts index

Bill Willins
on Mar 6, 2012 at 3:29:48 am

I've been shooting large sized Jpegs with no issues , also tried he 1 min interval without any problems. Good luck, keep us posted. BW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]