FORUMS: list search recent posts

5D Mark III HDMI output

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stef Allan
5D Mark III HDMI output
on Mar 2, 2012 at 7:34:05 pm

I've been looking everywhere trying to find out whether the new camera outputs a clean 1080 signal from its HDMI jack while recording. Even just an HD signal of some sort. This is a hugely important feature for anyone who wants to have a critical focus but doesn't have a focus puller and it seems to be passed over by the review-writing population.

Return to posts index

Stef Allan
Re: 5D Mark III HDMI output
on Mar 2, 2012 at 7:44:03 pm

Finally found it...it does monitor in full-res but it is not a clean signal. As long as it has the ability to output in full-res I would not be surprised if a firmware update eventually allows you to drop overlays.

Return to posts index

Monty Martin
on Mar 2, 2012 at 11:19:26 pm

There's always Magic Lantern...

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on Mar 3, 2012 at 9:28:44 am

Well the Mark II does, and it has been very clean for 3.5 years.
Check your cable. Check your HD TV, is it set correctly ?
Anything at H.264 mov edited in Premiere Pro CS5.5.2 at 1920 x 1080p is just stunning as is Sony Vegas. Check your monitor specs ? Should be 1920 x 1080p capable #

Even Exported to Pro tape is similar, especially on a HDMI input, some cables are not up to it ?

Freelance Imaging & Video
AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

Stef Allan
on Mar 3, 2012 at 10:04:16 pm

You mean you have a 1080 signal with no overlays outputted from your HDMI port while recording on a 5D mk II?

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on Mar 3, 2012 at 11:47:06 pm

Hi Stef,

None, the codec of the h.264 mov 1920 x 1080p @ 25fps clips are broadcast quality, out of the Canon 5D Mark II, there is no quality loss between, straight from camera via HDMI to Sony Bravia 46'PAL and Dell 2408WFP Ultra Sharp 24" Widescreen Flat panel Monitor via Premiere Pro 5.5.2 onto Tape 1440 x 1080i Anamorphic and to Blu-Ray disc at 1920 x 1080p, the video requires very little color correction and it is pin sharp when required.

I did have an HDMI cable which failed after 12 months and the newer more expensive cable was a huge improvement, so I replaced/upgraded all HDMI cables.

The still image and video out of this camera is equal to any HD 1080 broadcast and in many cases far better on screen and monitor.

If you cannot get it right, check with Canon Service, if under warranty ?
I upgrade the camera Firmware and have the camera serviced every 12 months.

Ps., Check your CF cards, I use SanDisk Extreme 60MB/s at 400x UDMA, last month shot at -30c in China , no issues with camera or cards even after 2 hours in these conditions.

AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

Edouard Dufour-Boiteau
on Mar 6, 2012 at 3:35:14 pm

Speaking of a clean LIVE full 1080 output out of the 5D Mark II (uncompressed), it is and was never possible. I remember seeing a beta version of Magic Lantern with it, but nothing stable. Yes, the recorded footage is broadcast quality and looks awesomely good which is why the camera is such a big seller, but it has many flaws when recorded in a such highly compressed format (h.264) and at a low bit rate (about 50mbps vbr). Many artifacts are present in the footage (showing as big squares when you pay attention in some conditions), also the color sampling is immensely dropped to 4:2:0 leaving low latitude for color grading.

As for the 5D Mark III, it does output a 1080 HDMI signal, but with the recording overlays (i.e.: recording time, light settings, etc). From Planet 5D: "resolution does not drop when you are connected to an external monitor and hit record. It does still have all of the overlays and the signal is not meant to be recorded." (http://blog.planet5d.com/2012/03/canon-eos-5d-mark-iii-hands-on-what-isnt-in-the-canon-press-release/).

One good thing about this is that it will at least give you the ability to do a good focus job with an external HD monitor. It was suggested (not by Canon) that Canon might do a firmware update to let the user remove all overlays to be able to record the signal externally since its big rival, the Nikon D800 offers a clean HDMI output.

Hope it clears things out!

Edouard Dufour-Boiteau
Video 4D /// http://www.video4d.com

Return to posts index

Edouard Dufour-Boiteau
on Mar 6, 2012 at 5:22:22 pm

There was a mistake in my last post. The 5D Mark III does not output a LIVE 1080 signal through HDMI, but the same signal as the 7D does in video mode.

Edouard Dufour-Boiteau
Video 4D /// http://www.video4d.com

Return to posts index

Stef Allan
on Mar 6, 2012 at 8:40:40 pm

This is what I thought...thank you.

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on Mar 6, 2012 at 10:40:48 pm

Yes, I misunderstood what you were getting at,Edouard Dufour-Boiteau,
is right

AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

Richard Brooks
on Jun 22, 2012 at 2:14:32 pm

Hi Bob,

I have read alot of articles saying the Mark II is not 'Broadcast Quality' Is this a very loose term because several music videos have been shot with the DSLR, episodes of House and also BBC productions. Are broadcasters coming around to the camera?

My main question is I am potentially directing a music video for a big artist and they want details of equipment to be used and the Mark II is what is within budget and nice and light to transport abroad to Ibiza. Would there be any issues in using this camera? They haven't specified how it will be broadcast but I would have thought its main use would be youtube/vimeo and potentially a couple of music channels.

Thanks Bob,

Hope your well,

Ric

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]