FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon HDSLR workflow...Really need advice...

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Teresa Seito
Canon HDSLR workflow...Really need advice...
on Feb 29, 2012 at 11:46:44 pm

Sorry, I'm kinda new to some of this stuff especially when it comes to Canon digital workflows but I really need some seasoned advice here.

Firstly, I have the Canon 60D, and I plan on shooting video with it (1920 x 1080).

I then plan on importing it into AE.

The problem is that the h.264 codec is heavily compressed.

QUESTION 1

I would like to be able to convert the h.264 codec to an intermediate format for AE (on a pc) -- the purpose is for keying (AE) and for color grading (Colorista II) -- but I'm not sure what is a good intermediate codec in Adobe Encoder (if you could list optional codecs in descending order of preference, I would appreciate it. If there is an ideal codec in Streamclip for PC based AE, I'd like to know that in addition to those for Encoder).

QUESTION 2

Also, the color space listed for still photography in the Canon manual is sRGB or Adobe RGB. It doesn't specify the bit depth or the color space for HD video. I can only assume it's one of the two as well. Some HD video cams default to REC 709, from which sRGB chroma primaries are derived. If I were to assign the HDTV (Rec 709)as the color profile to my footage instead of sRGB, can anyone tell me how the colors would shift?

QUESTION 3

Does anyone know what the bit depth of .mov/h.264 footage from a Canon 60D is?

QUESTION 4

Does anyone know what pulldown method the Canon 60D uses to map 24fps (23.976) onto NTSC standard of 30 fps (29.97)?

QUESTION 5

Does anyone have a workflow they can publish or a link to a workflow that I could mirror with my own efforts? The specifics are that I have a Canon 60D... want to shoot full HD footage (1920X1080p)... mostly at 30fps (NTSC 29.97fps) ... want to convert footage to the highest bit depth possible... for PC-based AE keying and PC-based color grading.

I know that Jason Levine says you can work with h.264 natively in Premiere Pro... but I'm specifically talking about processing this footage with motion graphics, fx, and color grading, and not just editing.

Thank you to anyone who can help.

Teresa

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
Re: Canon HDSLR workflow...Really need advice...
on Mar 1, 2012 at 9:11:09 am

[Teresa Seito] " If there is an ideal codec in Streamclip for PC based AE, I'd like to know that in addition to those for Encoder"

If with Media Encoder or Streamclip, good and often used intermediate codecs are "Neoscene Cineform" (pay-codec), Avid DNxHD (free), Quicktime with PNG compression. Those can be used quite well for postproduction. I'm using DNxHD

[Teresa Seito] "Does anyone know what the bit depth of .mov/h.264 footage from a Canon 60D is?"

8Bit in 4:2:0

[Teresa Seito] "want to convert footage to the highest bit depth possible... for PC-based AE keying and PC-based color grading."

You can do that with MPEGStreamclip using Quicktime with DNxHD 10Bit 185. This will give you sufficent quality. At least that's how I work for a couple of years.

------------------------------------------
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot." - Buster Keaton

http://twitter.com/FastFoodVideo (english/german)
http://fastfoodvideo.tumblr.com (german)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]