FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon 7D - Panning jitter

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oleg Solod
Canon 7D - Panning jitter
on Feb 25, 2012 at 4:38:40 am

I was doing a few more tests and noticed that when I pan the camera it seems to be happening all the time. Here is another link with me doing some panning and hand-held also. I have tried the panning with the 16-35mm lens, city pan also produced same jitter/blinking with my 70-200mm (IS off).
Hi

I am not sure if this is how it is supposed to be but maybe somebody can help with the issue that I am having.

Below is the video and here is the story:

Handheld shots, were all recorded at 24 fps, 50 shutter, f2.8, 320 iso, I tried 2 different canon 7Ds, and 3 different CF cards (1 Adata, 1 Sandisk, 1 Kingston) all produced same results.

Compression - I just dropped the files into Premier and exported them to h264 - Youtube HD, comp was set up as DSLR - 1080p at fps at 23.976 - rendered at same fps.

My shutter would normally be set at double the frame rate, so for 24, I would set it at 50 and at 30 fps I would set the shutter to 60.

The jitter is there in the original files as well, straight out from the 7D.

Any advice or thoughts ?

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
Re: Canon 7D - Panning jitter
on Feb 28, 2012 at 12:25:41 am

Well I have used a Canon 5D Mark II for 3-4 years , similar set up , but, with larger sensor. I recommend using the Image Stabilizer hand held, did have some jitter at start , but, smooth horizontal panning is essential with a shutter speed of 1/50sec or less PAL 25 fps.(However, I have noticed on a 3 week trip to China using Aperture Priority at say 1/2000 sec at F5.6 there still are no issues)and that was at 1920 x 1080p H.264 mov edited in CS5.5.2

No recent problems with a f3.5-5.6 28-135mm IS Lens, however Canon have put out a F2.8 70-200mm L series IS lens which is supposed to correct aberrations of this kind ? This can be eliminated by using the Plug in from Mercalli Pro V2 ( they call it rolling shutter compensation) for image stabilization in CS 5.5.2 Premiere Pro.

But, if you handle the camera correctly you should not get this issue , your demo indicates your panning is too fast? You will not get this using a Canon HD Video camcorder even a Canon HV20 1920 x 1080i because of the different operating system, but, the 7D is a different beast, do not rush the pan #

Take note I use EF Lens only on the 5D mark II , and not the lens which comes with the 7D

Freelance Imaging & Video
AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

Alex Campbell
Re: Canon 7D - Panning jitter
on Mar 26, 2012 at 4:36:37 am

Hi,

I had this issue when shooting a commercial spot for a mattress company.
The problem with h.264 is that the video does not contain all of the information about each frame. It basically has information about what has changed in between the full frames (I-Frames).
When you have a sweeping pan, the hardware has problems keeping up with the changes and shows a stutter. This is why is is not the same every time you play it. It just depends when the hardware is too slow.

If you export into an uncompressed codec such as an AVI, you will not notice the problem as much.

Believe it or not, I tried all of the frame blending tricks too. One of the tricks is to add a very tiny amount of grain into the image. I am not sure why it works, but it seems to.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]