FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shooting touch screen interaction

COW Forums : Field Production

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jacob Winders
Shooting touch screen interaction
on Mar 16, 2013 at 2:05:30 am

I frequently shoot marketing and training videos about laptops, tablets, and PCs. Whenever I have to shoot a device with a touch screen that requires a demo of the touch interaction, I face a dilemma. Do I shoot the demo in real time, or do I try some kind of screen replacement?
If I shoot in real time, I face issues like screen refresh rates not matching up with my shutter speed. I also have problems with the screen brightness or pixels showing up in a moire pattern.
On the other hand, if I use screen replacement I have to deal with composting, corner pinning, and syncing hand motions with the screen recording.
My question is: what is the industry preferred method for this type of shoot? Does it involve chroma keying and screen capture software?

Return to posts index

Andrew Camacho
Re: Shooting touch screen interaction
on Jun 18, 2013 at 3:05:33 pm

Good question, based of my experience with this I have always composited the footage. This might be because I love compositing but that aside it allows for more flexibility and less frustration during shooting. If you have the talent interacting with the tablet make sure the tablet screen is covered with green. I have learned to not have the tablet on with a green wallpaper, the illumination from the screen will spill on the talents hands.

Compositing the footage in post is not that difficult, especially if there is no camera movement, if there is camera movement apply some tracking markers to the tablet screen. I for the most part set up the scene to have no camera movement. One trick to add realism is to record some b roll of your talent acting out the interaction with the table but with tablet off leaving just a black screen. This will create reflections on the tablet screen of your talent which you can then composite later in post for some added realistic reflection. Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]