FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is the Rode Video Mic a good shotgun mic or not?

COW Forums : Field Production

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nery Romero
Is the Rode Video Mic a good shotgun mic or not?
on Feb 16, 2013 at 5:15:23 am

Hi, I was just wondering if the Rode VideoMic is good as a shotgun mic or would something like Audio-Technica AT897 be better? Same question for voice overs also?
Thanks

Return to posts index

Sareesh Sudhakaran
Re: Is the Rode Video Mic a good shotgun mic or not?
on Feb 16, 2013 at 11:50:02 am

It is a good mic. I bought a Sennheiser ME66 because that was the 'industry standard' back in 2008 (maybe it still is), and I didn't know anything about mics back then.

Today, I know that you have to test out the mics on your own and buy the one that matches your 'vision'. It's just like music, tastes vary.

Hope this helps.

Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to Reds to the Arri Alexa.

Return to posts index

Paul Trunkfield
on Feb 21, 2013 at 11:38:55 am

I agree with Sareesh, there are so many shotgun mics on the market that finding one that will suit your purposes will be a matter of going to your local store and trying a few. Or, spend a weekend hiring a couple of different ones, sennheiser, Rode, Audio-Technica etc. I personally found the Rode NTG-3 was best suited to my needs. Coupled with the Rode Blimp it is a great sounding shotgun mic that handles field recording very well.

Return to posts index

Shawn Hughes
on Mar 19, 2013 at 12:42:45 am

It all depends on your definition of 'good'.

Maybe you need something that won't break easily. Maybe you're looking for something with excellent sound reproduction at a distance. Maybe you're looking for something that has lots of sound rejection off axis. Or maybe, good means good price point.

I think if you are at the beginning of this journey, most any XLR microphones will be fine enough for you. Just invest in some coverings for your microphone, it really does make a world of difference.

Shawn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]