FORUMS: list search recent posts

What are some ways you can connect the Zoom H4n to a boom pole?

COW Forums : Field Production

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nery Romero
What are some ways you can connect the Zoom H4n to a boom pole?
on Feb 14, 2013 at 12:57:11 am

I have a H4n which I was using with the camera but I've recently bought a good shotgun mic and boom pole. Now I want to connect the H4n to the boom so my sound guy can have everything he needs in front of him. I've searched google and youtube for ideas but there's absolutely nothing. So, if anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :)

(sorry I didn't know where else to put this and since I'm mainly going to use it for field production I thought "why not" but if it needs to go somewhere else let me know and I'll put it there. Thanks again)

Return to posts index

Rob Neidig
Re: What are some ways you can connect the Zoom H4n to a boom pole?
on Feb 14, 2013 at 4:42:13 pm

Super glue, a cowboy's lasso, about a 3 foot length of chain with a padlock, a welding iron...

Sorry to poke fun, but I think your boom guy's gonna hate you for trying to put anything besides the mic/shock mount/blimp, etc. on the pole. It's hard enough holding the darn thing through some long takes as it is. I think a better idea is a bag that the boom op can wear, or a case with a belt loop, or something like that. Keep it off the pole.

Have fun!

Rob

Rob Neidig
R&R Media Productions
Eugene, Oregon

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Feb 15, 2013 at 8:18:07 pm

[Rob Neidig] " I think a better idea is a bag that the boom op can wear, or a case with a belt loop, or something like that. Keep it off the pole."

I agree.

Porta Brace and Petrol make dedicated H4n belt pouches as do others.

The H4n also has a 1/4-20 female socket on the back. You can use a standard gaffer's spud screwed into that to rig an H4n onto nearly any stand or surface simply by adding the proper mount for your situation.

But I'd go with either a belt pouch or a chest harness if your boom op wants to keep an eye on levels while recording.

Maybe check the Location Sound catalog. They might have a dedicated solution?

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Nery Romero
on Feb 16, 2013 at 5:04:20 am

I'll definitely have a look at all this. Thank you for your suggestions :)

Return to posts index

Roger Van Duyn
on Feb 16, 2013 at 2:18:35 pm

A small camera case with shoulder strap can work. Sound guys often carry a field mixer in a custom case with a shoulder strap.

The sound guy can probably just put the H4N in his pocket if he's wearing a jacket, or cargo pants with big pockets.

There's also fannie packs. Or a cameraman's vest. Or a fisherman's vest with big pockets.

In my limited experience, it's not practical to try to ride the levels with the H4N. It's too cumbersome. My field mixer has knobs. I Usually just setup/test the H4N once, then leave it alone. You only need to see the display if you're going to change something.

Roger

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]