FORUMS: list search recent posts

Flycam Vista II - Is this any good?

COW Forums : Field Production

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Grainger
Flycam Vista II - Is this any good?
on Feb 12, 2013 at 11:04:30 pm

I am seriously considering a Flycam Vista II, but want to hear peoples' experiences of it.

My main camera is a Sony NX5 and I also use an Atomos Samurai with it. I mainly shoot weddings, where I need to get the camera high above heads when filming dancing (which tends to be very fast and furious at the weddings I film!). I currently use a Manfrotto monopod resting on a bum bag to get the height, but this digs into my stomach after a while and starts to hurt me.

The Flycam Vista II looks interesting because it can go high up, which many support systems can't. I tried a Sony VCT-SP1BP Monopod Camera Support System, but I wasn't impressed and it broke within minutes! The monopod was a very poor quality, and it was difficult to move the camera from head height to higher in one smooth motion. I am wondering what the quality of the Vista II is like?

If anyone has any other product suggestion also, please let me know.

Many thanks!

Return to posts index

Santiago Quintero
Re: Flycam Vista II - Is this any good?
on Mar 25, 2013 at 5:20:53 pm

I just bought a flycam vista 2 and should be arriving in 3 days. I'll let you know about once it receive. It's a gamble since their aren't any reviews that I have found. Let me know if your still interested in buying it or disregard this email.

Return to posts index

Santiago Quintero
on Mar 25, 2013 at 5:36:54 pm

Are you still interested to purchase the flycam vista 2? Cause I just ordered it.

Return to posts index

Trent Terrell
on Apr 3, 2013 at 7:31:53 pm

Hi
Any updates ono the Flycam Vista II? I am considering a purchase by Friday. Can you send any footage or photos you have of the actual unit. Whats the quality of the sled?

Return to posts index

Santiago Quintero
on Apr 4, 2013 at 3:03:45 am

I haven't balanced the flycam vista 2 yet. I'm waiting to get the LCD from proamusa.com. The overall quality is surprisingly well built. The sled is carbon fiber and an aluminum coated texture but strong. I recommend you get the LCD with bnc connectors because thats where I'm having issues. My camcorder an (XHA1) has bnc connection but the LCD on the bottom sled which is separate didnt have one so I ordered a different type which does. I recommend getting the LCD through them rather another company. The sled has a v-mount battery plate on the bottom which I won't be using cause their so expensive and the canon batteries work best for long hours of shooting to power the LCD. Keep the connections in mind or you will pay for it later. the cine city are terrible at returning emails but the flycam vista 2 is a steal for the price. I will be balancing it as soon as I get the LCD monitor. The arm the sled is very light and looks durable. However their are some hard plastic joints on the arm which I wasnt a fan off but holds it's weight well. The vest is awesome I think better than the cheap steadicam pilot in my opinion but the dv operator all black one is better. Overall, worth the price but keep the connections in mind considering your camcorder.

Return to posts index

Trent Terrell
on Apr 4, 2013 at 3:20:06 am

Perfect. I actually have a SmallHD monitor with SDI connectos so the BNC cables should work perfect. Did they supply the BNC cable that runs thought the sled? How is the handle? Is it constructed of high quality metal? How long was shipping. I'm in California

Return to posts index

Santiago Quintero
on Apr 4, 2013 at 4:34:01 am

It comes with bnc connectors and other connectors and the metal is not the best quality but it's pretty strong aluminum looks like. Keep in mind I just got it about a week ago so I need to test it out completely. Shipping was fantastic. Arrived 5 days after ordering the product online but shipping is about $215 considering the weight and fast shipping (fedex). Don't know about your camcorder buy I'm sure it has bnc connections.

Return to posts index

Santiago Quintero
on Apr 4, 2013 at 3:10:47 am

I'll get you some pictures soon. I would wait to get the flycam vista 2 until I get a chance to really use it and get you my full input on the matter. I do weddings to and if money is not an issue I would get the flycam 6000 reverse arm since it looks more of a higher quality. Not the magic arm crap which is crap.

Return to posts index

Trent Terrell
on Apr 4, 2013 at 4:14:09 am

I look forward to your photos.

Return to posts index

Santiago Quintero
on Apr 5, 2013 at 9:27:22 pm

Return to posts index

Trent Terrell
on Apr 6, 2013 at 5:50:53 am

Looks really good. I contacted DV CITY and talked to their RND department and they are going to run a HDMI cable through the sled for me so that works out perfect. I went ahead and ordered it considering the price and the accommodations they made with the price and mods. Cant wait to test it out.

Return to posts index

Santiago Quintero
on Apr 11, 2013 at 1:52:03 am

Did you receive your flycam vista 2 yet? Just curious how the connections that they accommodated turned out? I wish I would of Asked what you asked for. Can you provide me the number to cine city. I can't find a number anywhere. Thanks

Return to posts index

Trent Terrell
on Apr 11, 2013 at 1:59:40 am

I actually canceled the order. After I sent my payment and they told me it shipped. They told me they couldn't install the cable because the post is telescopic. Which makes sense but I was pretty upset they told me that I've since went with the Laing M02. They tried to sale me the 7300 for a discount. Let me know how you like the steadicam.

Return to posts index

Santiago Quintero
on Apr 11, 2013 at 6:57:27 am

Really? I'm curious to see how this steadicam turns out. Looks like it built better than the vista and it's nice looking with good reviews. Let me know how it turns out.

Return to posts index

Andrew McM illan
on Jun 7, 2013 at 1:20:44 am

Hey trent do you have the contact info for their R&D department. I've been trying to get a part for my flycam ahvent been able to get anywhere

Return to posts index

Christopher Gavin
on Mar 19, 2014 at 1:11:23 pm

Hi guys

Interesting thread. We've just bought the Flycam II/C9 and quality looks good.

Only problem is getting an HD signal through the top plate down to the monitor mounting point. We have a Sony FS700 and an Atomos Samurai Blade and can't get a signal through to the Atomos or even a TV Logic monitor. Think it might have something to do with the ohm capacity of the lead within the unit.

Does anyone else have this problem or a workaround...?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Lester Lauritzen
on May 2, 2015 at 2:02:09 pm

Hey, Christopher. Were you able to figure out the HD signal problem? I'm thinking of buying this item. Do you think it's any good? Does it do a good job stabilizing? I can hardly find any footage that was taken on it. Thanks and please let me know what you think of it. Best regards.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]