FORUMS: list search recent posts

filming in a Sterile lab

COW Forums : Field Production

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Pulleyn
filming in a Sterile lab
on Jan 27, 2013 at 2:37:33 pm

Hi
I may have to shoot in a research lab in the coming weeks.
It's currently unclear if it is a totally sterile environment but does anyone have experience in preparing video/lighting equipment for this?

I see 3M have a camera surgical drape
http://products3.3m.com/catalog/ca/en001/healthcare/-/node_GS6GBS3J9Dbe/roo...

any advice/ideas welcome

thanks
CP

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
Re: filming in a Sterile lab
on Jan 27, 2013 at 4:44:06 pm

I've done this a couple of times over the years, and the camera was not an issue, but hot lights were. It's best to do as much pre-pro on these as possible, because the rules vary greatly. Also, some places may want to clean the camera, insist you cover it, or both. Depending on the camera, you can sometimes improvise a cover from a pair of disposable surgical pants.
It's really facility dependent, so do your homework to avoid surprises.

Scott Sheriff
SST Digital Media
Multi-Camera Director, VFX and Post Production

The Affordable Camera Dolly is your just right solution!

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Return to posts index

Chris Pulleyn
on Jan 27, 2013 at 9:16:22 pm

Thanks for the advice Scott. The client should be getting back to us on what is necessary, i was just wondering if there was something special i should look out for. it would be research, not surgical.
I'll get some sterile polythene of some sort either way, though I'll have to get the lens pocking out somehow.

Equipment will be Sony Z7, D800 and a couple of GoPros. The GPs will probably horrify some of you vets but i find them fantastic when you need a special close up, table dolly or need a cam in a tight spot (besides, i can wash the casing easily)
Lights to a minimum. a few Dedo Spots.

CP

Return to posts index

Shawn Hughes
on Mar 19, 2013 at 12:54:32 am

I've been involved with those kinds of facilities before, but not in a video capacity. Best thing to do, is ask them exactly what they want you to do. Describe to them what your needs are and together you can work something out with that much guessing.

I know in food development, and in pharmaceutical industries, they are fanatical about pieces that can fall off and get stuck in a machine. They also like chemical solutions for disinfecting if that's an issue. Places that involve radiological products are very concerned about dust, and will go to great links to control it.

From working haz-mat, don't forget that once you're in the suit, you're in the suit. For instance, it's very bad get all buttoned up and in realize your car keys are inside your pants pocket... so in your case think about where you need to stash cards or discs or batteries or cables.

They also may have personal requirements like no aftershaves no deodorant and things like that too...

Shawn
ps - be certain you get a picture of yourself all dudded up that way you can put it in the demo reel!

Return to posts index

Andrew James
on May 15, 2013 at 9:21:53 am

I believe you would consider the lightning of the lab. The proper position of the camera. It should be against the light to get a clearer video.

Return to posts index

Andrew James
on May 15, 2013 at 9:22:13 am

I believe you would consider the lightning of the lab. The proper position of the camera. It should be against the light to get a clearer video.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]