FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best coats/jacket for filming in winter.

COW Forums : Field Production

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Shand
Best coats/jacket for filming in winter.
on Dec 20, 2012 at 7:41:25 pm

Hi All, does anyone recommend any coats/jackets etc for filming outside in winter? Something waterproof, warm but not too bulky. Any help would be much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
Re: Best coats/jacket for filming in winter.
on Dec 21, 2012 at 8:08:14 pm

I just wear my skiing/boarding gear. It's warm waterproof, and is designed to allow a lot of freedom of movement. Layers is the way to go, avoid these pillow sewn down or polyfill 'puffy' type fashion outwear that you find at stores like "young army" (use your imagination). I like Columbia stuff because of it's versatility (layers), and durability. but there are other good brands. If you don't live where ski clothing is sold locally, try REI.

Scott Sheriff
SST Digital Media
Multi-Camera Director, VFX and Post Production

The Affordable Camera Dolly is your just right solution!

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Return to posts index

Steve Kownacki
on Dec 22, 2012 at 4:04:48 pm

Totally agree with Scott. I have a Dynastar coat that is long and comes down well below my waist. Good coats have drawstrings/velcro/elastic around the waist, wrists & neck. Look for zippered vents in the armpits and convertible hoods too. Most have lots of zippered pockets inside and out.

Steve

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Dec 22, 2012 at 7:58:54 pm

I have a Weatherproof brand ski jacket that I love for shoots. Not only is it toasty and weather friendly, but the modern styles typically have internal pockets with wire ports for iPods, etc, - which means you can rig your montior headphones into the jacket in advance and keep a wireless receiver or something like an H4N in an interior pocket.

Weather gear has come a long way in the past decade.

If you can afford something modern, you're likely to be very happy with it because there's so much competition in the winter wear category.

Good luck.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Tyler Grutsch
on Apr 2, 2013 at 4:56:42 pm

I work in Montana and seems like a lot of the shoots are outdoors. I've never gone wrong with just having a Carhartt jacket or pants. They are tough and will last a really long time. Hope this helps.

Tyler Grutsch
Wise Foley Entertainment
http://www.wisefoleyentertainment.com
Missoula, MT
406-396-9253

Return to posts index

Allan Klingler
on Jun 12, 2013 at 10:42:26 pm

I like the dual layer removable Colombia stuff myself, but thats just me. Its never warm enough.

---------
Professional videography since 1996
http://www.tetonvideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]